one for the camera chaps

MAXTHEROTTI

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
hi all im thinking (only thinking at this point in time) about getting into photography.
my question is what is a good starter camera ?
what do i need to look for on it? (features wise)

thanks in advance

rob

This place is always a useful place to enquire about camera stuff.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/

Depends what you want to use it for really. It can be frustrating, playing with the software and trying to tweek the results. Its can also be addictive :twisted:

Hi Rob,

I used to work in the industry for more years that I care to remember as well as doing the odd bit of freelance so happy to advise if you want. I got out of the retail game about 8 months ago so I can give an impartial view. Oh, also do the odd bit of tuition on courses too.

Cheers

ok i need to clarify a bit here
my experiance of taking pics is disposable cameras and my phone :oops: :oops:
i have no idea what slr means (i think thats the term)
how much do i need to be thinking about spending?
bearing in mind i have the attention span of a frog (about 8 seconds) so must be easy to use and set up (have been known to kick the snot out of things that go wrong on me too :oops: )
treat me like complete newb on this one!!

rob

I'm watching this post with interest. Going to be looking for my first digital SLR after xmas.
Hope to have a budget of around £500 but would idealy like to spend less (well, it is more to spend on here :LOL: )

See whether I can help. Although I've always been a fan of good photos, I just 'got into it' this summer, meaning I threw down on a decent DSLR and a lens.

I started off borrowing a friend's Canon Rebel EOS 350D XT. Pretty entry-level for DSLRs. Immediately I saw an improvement from my SD1000 digicam (which is a pretty nice one). I also really struggled with how knowledgeable you have to be to take good pics. It really isn't enough to just buy the equipment, throw it on auto and fire away. In fact, I found my pics doing just that were worse than the ones I took with my digicam.

I was hooked, so $500 got me a Canon EOS 450D Xsi with kit lens 18-55mm. I think this is pretty much what you're going to pay to get into it.

Next step was to do some serious studying. I spent ALOT of time at POTN (www.photography-on-the.net), and there's some awesome helpful people there. I also took some online photography tutorials. This one was helpful since it was the camera with which I was shooting:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video ... es-165163/

My main interest in photog was bike racing, since I am a racer and always loved cool shots. So I threw down on a 75-300mm telephoto for $300. This is my favorite lens for obvious reasons.

From there it was play, play, play. Sometimes I rent a fisheye or wide-angle just for effect, but mainly I like the 300mm.

Here are some of my favorite shots from this summer so far:

vista.jpg

baywatch_dog.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

shenandoa_fixed2.jpg

cw_bw.jpg

leaves_color.jpg

jason1.jpg

Ok enough showing off.

Its expensive, but like bikes, you get what you pay for. Good luck!

Back