Used in conjunction..my two and three most loathed words

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Health and Safety
Risk Assessment

Had a report returned to me the other day following a HandS audit.

The world is going crazy....what the feck is going on, are we following America's trend of litigation culture.

Makes me so angry.

Why?

Some recommendations.....I manage a wine shop...just your typical store, nothing fancy.

Apparently we need to 'tape' customer 'channels' on the floor.

Apparently we are posing a risk to customers as we do not have eye-level
indicators/warnings on the front window..or one of our fridges.

you would have to be abnormally stupid to walk into them...I call it natural selection

Of course when we mentioned the cellar which really does have hazardous steps, and the rats, and the malfunctioning fire exit..that was OK.

I want to shout very loudly at whoever is responsible for this ridiculous nonesense.

Jeez

I'll go and calm down now.

Cheers
Carl

It's not the world per se, it's just the individual(s) who audited you. There are people who are shit at their jobs in all professions, H&S is no exception.

It certainly sounds like overall your shop is just fine, i'd focus on the fact that you are getting things right. It's just a pedant at work.

[quote

you would have to be abnormally stupid to walk into them...I call it natural selection

Cheers
Carl[/quote]

thats most of the shoppng public then :p

Apparently we are posing a risk to customers as we do not have eye-level
indicators/warnings on the front window..or one of our fridges.

Get some manifestation dots, circular cutouts of sticky back vinyl and apply at the correct level on the glass. Its DDA legislation to stop people walking into plate glass windows. It happens and you don't want to be on the wrong end of a legal action, believe me people make a living out of 'injuring' themselves in retail premises and taking compensation :?

No, no, no!

What ever you do don't shout at anyone unless you've been trained in doing so otherwise you may cause a strain to your voice. You must have also provided your victim with earplugs and safety goggles (incase a bit of spit comes out) and you're standing in a dedicated shouting area that's sound proofed so as not to startle potential passers by who may then stumble and hurt themselves or go into labour if they're pregnant or have a heart attack if they have a pre existing heart condition or have a panic attack if they are of a nervous disposition or drop a bottle of wine causing it to smash on the floor thereby causing the multiple hazard of spillage and broken glass...

Crack open a bottle of Gevrey-Chambertin or something and let it all wash over you instead, or go and furtle with your Kona (which I'm jealous of).

Pip pip!

I know all about the w*nkiness of the HSE and risk assessments - I work on roofs! One of the most ridiculous paperwork related problem we had was a risk assessment I wrote once - it was sent back for being too short! I asked them if I had missed anything, they said no, just make it longer!!!

Another good one was being told to link two lanyards together (which is illegal anyway) so I could reach the top of the roof. Unfortunately if I fell off the bottom of the roof I would have hit the ground before the fall arrest system deployed!

Jobs for the boys............ :evil: :shock: :evil: :shock:

it can be a bit over the top isnt it :roll: and i'm thinking of getting into the health and safety training side of things with my job....!:LOL:

Don't laugh, there's a gun shop on Ecclesall Road in Sheffield, it has wire mesh behind the glass, get's me on the nose every time i wander over to sneak a look at their selection of paintball guns.

it's like an Insectocutor, i'm just drawn to it, thinking the glass must be behind the mesh, then kapow, punched in the kisser every time.

Embarassingly i've done this for over a decade now.

i think i have to do a risk assessment for the shop once a year but i kind of 'sleep-work' when i do these sorts of things cant be assed i like to play games with these people it helps relieve the boredom... i dont take my job seriously :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back