How far to go..

How far?

• Stick with Pic 1.. tis how it should be!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for Pic 2.. It'll be more comfortable..

• Ruin the geometry.. Go for Pic 3!

• Total voters

OrangeRetro

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm currently considering which forks to chuck on my clockwork, its 1999 so would have been fitted with 80mm forks.. I think. I'm looking to up that to 100mm. Below are the results of my highly scientific experiements... :|

Pic 1: the standard.. (yawn)
Pic 2: looks about 100mm to me.. :D
Pic 3: is for the slackers amongst you.. ;)

Whats ya thoughts?

Attachments

• P7.jpg
    P7.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,494
my bombers seem to have had 80mm springs put in them in their 10 years in existence instead of the 110mm

even 80mm seems a lot to me , ive literally just this minite changed them over to rigid . even stood over it rocking it back and forth ( to make sure the headset is tight ;) ) with the brakes on and muttering to myself " ooh thats solid " :LOL:

in all honesty once your riding you wont notice the extra travel as itl mostly just turn into sag , you will just have to get used to lifting the bike more to hop it over things .

If it helps......

This is 90mm
17062008062.jpg

and this is 70mm
18062008074.jpg

This is in danger of being a non-retro conversation. Vile modern thinking appears to be present here and the harsh new MODERATORS may well consign you to the oblivion of another forum if you start talking about 80mm travel as if it's a basic yawntastic nothing.

In fact I think picture 1 shows a Manitou Spyder R, which may have had a nominal 70mm travel, but I doubt whether it ever achieved it. And its A-C length of 43cm is a lot less than even an 80mm fork.

It's a retro bike man (or not even that by some spurious age-based definitions of 'retro'), but there are plenty of choices at around 43cm - an RC36 set to 70mm, a 70mm Z2 or an SID set to 63mm will all give you the handling the designers intended. If you want modern levels of travel, why not buy a modern Clockwork?

Martin":u76pkmz5 said:
Deffonatley nr1!!

Otherwise you are forced to drive straight away all the way.......

Oh dear.. looks like I've opened a can of worms... :shock: ..Maybe this should have gone in the 'Off Topic' section.. I hear that 1999 ain't all that retro any way... thats not a cue to start the old 'what is retro?' conversation! ;)

Latest posts

Back