Possibly not for me

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I've been thinking this for a while ,but i dont know if im cut out for cycling these days,after spending some £7-800 building my current [and only] bike,it seems that the build is wrong ,and what im coming up with is not shiny and exciting but dull and confused
I can't afford to keep spending this amount of money in this financial climate,as my outgoings are increasing exponentially

Bloody shame really as i've always wanted a ti frame and CK wheelset
But as my dear old dad always says in these situations
"you've got to cut your cloth accordingly'
All this coupled with the lack of actual cycling that i do [prob' about once a month]makes me think i'd be better selling everything that i've bought these last few months,and leave it either till time or money are more plentiful
If i sell and at this stage im not entirely sure ,i'd prefer to sell complete but stripped for parts will recoup more of my money, quicker

That's shame really, I wouldnt give up if you feel you have made a mistake on your bike project, I admit there is some things you didnt do right on the bike, I do think it's worth keeping a bike for yourself as there will be some days you fancy going out for a spin and it's there.

To get some money back and still keep the bike, I would sell the forks, purple cranks, red boosters for simple P2's, Shimano silver cranks and make it as a single speed so you can sell the thumbshifter, rech mech and cassette. If you can afford it later on, get some amber walls tyres to softer the look with your black rims and take the mud guard and bike pump on frame off.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

If you do sell the forks i would be very interested in them as well as the crankset.

I am sorry to hear about your situation and i can really sympathise with you!

pah , just ride it , if its comfortable it doesnt matter two s@its what it looks like

nothing to stop you buying cheap stuff and using that instead , not as shiny or "cool" but its all about the riding not the posing :cool:

it doesnt cost anything to keep the parts , its not like they are alive and need feeding , nothing to stop you packing them away for a few years

guybe":3un2t7wz said:
That's shame really, I wouldnt give up if you feel you have made a mistake on your bike project, I admit there is some things you didnt do right on the bike, I do think it's worth keeping a bike for yourself as there will be some days you fancy going out for a spin and it's there.

To get some money back and still keep the bike, I would sell the forks, purple cranks, red boosters for simple P2's, Shimano silver cranks and make it as a single speed so you can sell the thumbshifter, rech mech and cassette. If you can afford it later on, get some amber walls tyres to softer the look with your black rims and take the mud guard and bike pump on frame off.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

^^

what he said.

We all build stuff we're not happy with on accoasion. that project bike that's been mulled over for weeks or moths finally comes together and well - things aren't quite as planned.

As guybe sayd might be best to go back to basics on that one.

You seem well depressed mate.Maybe more time on the trails and less time thinking is best at present.

spudgun":12wx55da said:
You seem well depressed mate.Maybe more time on the trails and less time thinking is best at present.

Yep, more riding less pondering :D

The only thing that doesn't quite fit on the bike is that chainring IMHO (looks a bit big like the ones used on the Kamakaze downhill :) ), i'd have to loose the mud guard and the pump but that's personal choice, the bike looks perfectly useable as it is :cool: .

I made mistakes with my first build (Clockwork) and that ended up a mish mash of parts but i still enjoyed riding it for the year i had it and i learned from it too, learned to do more research on parts and not buy bits on impulse, the guy who has it now is doing far more justice to the frame than i did but that's cool :D

I've had my GT LTS eight years and i'm still adding and changing bits on it, i dont think it will ever be finished.

Just read your thread in readers bikes (Sorry i missed it before :oops: ),
are you taking the comments to hart ?, the comment about it not being
"shiny and exciting" is a load of old tosh (no offence to the poster), Retrobikes dont need to be "shiny and exciting " to be interesting.

There was some good advice in the thread regarding colour choice and asthetics etc, i agree that stickers would set the frame off and selling the cranks forks and stem would fund a slimmer stem (Control tech maybe ?), silver cranks and a nice set of shorter forks (Pace ?)

The frame is a cracking colour, could be really nice :cool:

Dont loose faith man :D

It would be a nice looking bike, with the right parts :cool:

My first build didnt even make it, it was a diamond back veil classic frame, bought some parts, lost out on a pair of wheels with blue hubs.
the frame is pretty tatty anyway so maybe that was for the best...

In the end I used the blue bars and blue use alien post on my silver Bianchi :cool:

Yeah I know where your coming from.

The fussiest of builds tend to look bloody awful.

And that does look pretty awful. Sorry - just being honest....

I made all those mistakes by sticking on diskdrives, spinergy wheels, more bling than you can shake a stick at etc...

In the end it looks cr*p.

I'd start again.

Buy simple silver and black kit- keep the components simple and the bike should look pretty good.

Back