Please help a disc brake rookie

richie-t

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got a bit of an issue with a few things, hopefully some of you can help my sorry backside.

I've got a hope disc caliper on the front wheel. The two rotors that came with it are slightly different but both too small. They are 165mm in diameter.

Question 1 - How far into the caliper should the rotor go? (only goes half way with this rotor.) the pic below has no rotor attached by the way

Question 2 - I've got two different types of bolt to secure the rotor to the mount and each disc has different holes. One has a tapered hole, the other is totally flat. Which is the norm?

Note: If i use the black bolts on the flat rotor, the wheel will not turn round as the bolts catch on the forks!! The best case scenario at the moment is the tapered bolts on the tapered hole'd rotor. BUT then the pad is only being half warn as the brake zone is half empty.

I'm assuming a need a larger disc (something like 180/190mm?) with tapered holes, and that is 5 bolt. How do i know which bloody one to get? I think the brake is a hope hydro?

Any help is appreciated!!!

thanks

Rich

seems you need a 180mm

i think hope still sell the 5 bolt discs :?

the disc with holes wouldave come with the hope sport , black 2 pot caliper and large lever , pretty sure it was an open system too

looks like you have the hope pro caliper , from memory the only real difference is the lever and its a closed ( lever has a dial and different shape )

the lightning bolt disc came with hopes first 4 pot system but i cant remember what it was called

a side on pic of the caliper could be usefull

email hope , they will say to upgrade to the laest but just tell em you need to know whats what :LOL:

thanks for the info dude. the lever has like a chrome dial with + and - on it.

i'll get a snap taken + uploaded 2moro

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
this is the older sport

hopesport.jpg

and pro

hopeproopen.jpg

but i forgot both types came in both open and closed variety :oops:

maybe someone on here is using a hope disc on hi 5s that can tell you what size disc you need as you might have the wrong size caliper for the disc on that fork

you might well be right.

i'll take full pics tomorrow and whack them on so it'll be easier to work out whats going on!

failing this, v-brakes it'll have to be!

would b worth sending the pics to hope and asking them unless someone with hopes on hi 5s can tell you for definite

but i have the same number 3 caliper and its a rear :?

Back