OT: Any Vegetarians on here?

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Or Vegans for that matter....

Ive just completed the first step - Gone for a whole year without eating mammal. I feel good and even though the decision to go towards vegetarianism is purely for ethical reasons, I dont miss pork, lamb, beef etc at all.

Have to avoid BBQ's though. Most of my social group cant stand fish (for some reason unknown)

Diet consists of eating lots of fish and plenty of chicken and turkey - which I know is contrary to total vegetarianism but its my first steps having eaten all types of good and bad meats all my life...

I used to eat everything so Ive slowly conditioned myself.

Anyone else on here following a similar way of life?

No meat (yes, even chicken :roll: ) for 25 years or so...still eat the occasional fish...but only when sprouts or kale is out of season :LOL:

only chicken or fish for me , ie no red

just dont like the taste/texture/look/smell etc :?

i supplement the loss of protein with peanuts and bombay mix :D

It all started as a bet really. Lived with a veggie friend for a while who challenged me to give the filth up. Was never really a bit meat eater to be fair. Then I started reading about it...well the UK production etc ....slaughter houses et al and decided not to return to meat.
I'm not evangelical about it though.... and don't have problems with people who do eat meat.
Proper meat that is. Properly reared and slaughtered.
Don't know how people can eat most muck that is labeled 'meat'.
Opps...better get of the box now
:LOL:

I could never be a veggie .

I eat my steaks blue , and love steak tartare .

and if i was becoming veggie , my familly would never talk to me ever again .

I must admit I do feel a lot healthier for it though. Loads more energy and somehow you kinda get naturally picky about foods - I hardly eat any junk now either. Almost like a natural progession.

The fat dropped off. We used to eat bacon sarnies most mornings - dont miss it. Just tasted wrong after a while.

Impressed with those on here who have managed to drop flesh entirely. Impressed.

At the end of the day its everyones choice but I watched a few upsetting videos, read numerous books, researched teeh health benefits, spoken to a few slaughterhouse workers, farmers etc and have made my decision based on learning about it all.

Dont think I could go back now. Just need to drop the chicken now. I may keep doing fish for a bit longer. :oops:

I'm pretty much vege, 'cos my wife can't eat meat. (she can't digest it)
I eat meat occasionally when I'm out, or if I get a craving, but that's not often.

The only problem is that people usually don't know what to cook for veges, as they rely on meat as the main part of most meals, but a bit of creativity, and thinking differently about food, you can make some really good meals. The bonus is that you don't feel as stuffed and lethargic afterwards. BBQs can be a nightmare, but next time fill some giant mushrooms with decent cheese and stick them on. Some strips of halloumi, vege kebabs, sweetcorn. Nice.

We're pretty lucky living in Brighton, every other restaurant is vegetarian.

Good luck to you. It's a positive lifestyle choice and, although I'm not vege, I have a great deal of respect for what you're doing. :)

I admire anyone doing something like that, giving something up for their beliefs and sticking to it. I do believe that the ethical arguement for not eating meat is not particularly valid, i buy all my meat from local suppliers which ensures tracibility i.e. i know which farm it comes from and exactly how it was reared/slaughtered. I think it needs for more of us as consumers to demand these standards, and to stop taking the easy way out by shopping in (insert evil, monopolising supermarket chain here :LOL: ), these places are fine for everyday products but for our food i think we all need to be a little more selective. We need to use our local farm shops and in the case of veggies, our local markets (and also our local, independant giftcard retailers :LOL: ). sorry for going a little OT but i feel quite strongly about this subject.

Back