Turbo Trainer PtII

retrojon

Retro Guru
So I got a Minoura Hypermag 1200.
It is a little noisier than I expected though!

How much difference to the noise does a trainer tyre make?

Turbo

It depends what tire you're using in the first place. Generally they are about 50% quieter than a normal slick due to the compound. They also perform a lot better under load. You probably wont realise how bad yours is now till you try a trainer tyre. The other good thing is you cn dial the resistance right up on the turbo as the heat wont be a problem, so you can just pedal a lower gear to get the same power output and the noise should be lower still.

Hi mate ive bought a conti turbo trainer tyre and the noise is only a slight ammount quieter, the big thing with these tyres is they can take the heat better from the roller.

Jon

I don't know, haven't used mine yet and had it set up over a year :roll:
Let me know how you get on ;)

turbo

I suppose it depends how much you use your trainer as well. If your doing a few hours a week you want one cos you'll burn through a road tyre in no time

I use an old Michelin HiLite - a 25 I think so quite wide - which is well matured (like me ;) ) and therefore very hard. I've used it for some time and it doesn't seem to show any appreciable wear. It's inflated to about 90-100 psi, I have no idea if this is the right sort of pressure or not, it's what I use on the road for general riding.

My turbo is a Minoura Mag (the yellow one) and it's a lot quieter than my old fan one - which blew up and send hundreds of bits of fan blasting around the shed with a big bang, quite scary!. I rather like the noise as it's an indicator of how fast you're going. I try to keep the noise at a constant pitch by pedalling smoothly which does help when you're out on the road.

As an extra, I would like to find a turbo training plan for a gentleman older rider trying to get fit again to have a go at riding time trials next year. Anyone got any ideas?

Reckon I'll buy a turbo tyre one day but use up old tyres till then, currently using a spesh nimbus armadillo and its lasted ages have the front one to swap around when it does go. I'm sure this information is of no help to you at all though :roll: :oops:

Old Ned have a look at the spinerval DVD's, if you can put up with Coach Troy they're great. Maybe see if theres a few around here as there not cheap. I used to know a link that showed you a snippet of the vids I'll see if I can find it.

Turbo

Have you got a heart rate monitor, or better still a power tap?
As an extra, I would like to find a turbo training plan for a gentleman older rider trying to get fit again to have a go at riding time trials next year. Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Turbo

slinky182":2ygf6pt7 said:
Have you got a heart rate monitor, or better still a power tap?

No to an HRM but I've got a cold water tap in the garden which is quite powerful.

All sounds a bit technical to me :?

Back