Question about Araldite

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My wife bought some Araldite steel - which is supposed to be used on metals. I actually wanted Araldite to use on plastic - question is will I have to take the stuff my wife bought back or will it do the job OK?

I was going to try and find out for you, but as i was reading your post my gf was reading over my shoulder and she said "take it back you lazy poo, it won't work" :shock: and that's the truth.

Araldite has never worked in my experience.

The only thing it has ever bonded together successfully is the matchstick to the piece of cornflake packet which I used to mix it on.

Can't you take the wife back? There's an ironic pun in there somewhere, stuck with the wife etc, but that's for you to finish!!!

Jim

jim-laden":2bso2d0v said:
Can't you take the wife back? There's an ironic pun in there somewhere, stuck with the wife etc, but that's for you to finish!!!

Jim

Priceless!

But it all depends. Araldite is just a brand name for glue made of (most often) epoxy resin. And if the job in hand is cosmetic I'd happily use it on many plastics. Especially the reinforced Epoxies and polyesters will work fine and PVC and PU PolyUrethanes too. If the job is structural go get the "right" stuff, and always clean and degrease first and then roughen the surface with some abrasive.

However, if the plastic to be bonded is a non-polar such as PE (PolyEthylene) or PP PolyPropylene, even the "right" Araldite will struggle to adhere to it. These materials need surface treatment to bond properly (additional to cleaning and roughening that is).

Simplest treatment is to oxidise the surface with a flame/torch, but careful, they melt and distort quite easily.

Enjoy!!

There is an arcrylic superglue type of thing ,would that be any good?
I know Axminster power tool company has it for about a fiver

it's for our washing machine door - the hinges are metal, but the mounts which the hinges slot into are plastic and have snapped. I could get a new door surround (not a complete door) that incorporates the plastic bits I need but suspect it'll be big money which I want to spend on bikes not washing machine doors :roll: :LOL:

Ah classic DIY job, use the araldite you have which won't work then buy the other stuff which also won't work. By this point you have a cunning plan or two which also won't work and you realise you've spent the same as buying new part. :LOL: :LOL:

orange71":250m7w1t said:
it's for our washing machine door - the hinges are metal, but the mounts which the hinges slot into are plastic and have snapped. I could get a new door surround (not a complete door) that incorporates the plastic bits I need but suspect it'll be big money which I want to spend on bikes not washing machine doors :roll: :LOL:

a drill, some small nuts & bolts and a man called 'Keith' is what you need.

Back