Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:50 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 am
Posts: 1614
Location: Edenbridge, Kent
I know it is covered in other threads, but it is really difficult to find somewhere to buy a 'quality' kids bike. I fully understand the financial pressures on people - not everyone can afford an Islabike, but there are ways of doing better than some of the crap that is out there.

Suppose what annoyed me was that a 'professional' had told friends not to go to Halfords, but not told them where to go instead - FFS what are they meant to do?

They ended u[p deciding on:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/12591/Freespirit_Tracker_24Inch_Boys_Bike_2008

Could have been worse but would rather have had the GT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:12 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:40 pm
Posts: 1526
Location: Atherton, Manchester
Winstanleys bikes = Good prices but total shit customer services when you call in the shop!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:21 am 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Posts: 12314
Location: Branston, Lincoln
I have already said in other threads, but my daughter is now showing an interest and great potential in MTBing.

So, very shortly I am going to chuck her P.O.S. Probike and build her a nice retro MTB :wink:

Arriving at my gaff shortly is a GT Arrowhead frame from xizang, I already have some Rock Shox Indy SL's from lewis1641 and I have the offer some STX bits from spitoon.

This will be a lovely bike, 100% better than the one she currently has, and I reckon I can build this for less than £100 :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:26 am 
West Midlands AEC
West Midlands AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 6266
Location: Stow on the Wold, Glos
You can get for the younsters a bike called Saracen Hoax suitable for 5 to about 10 years old ... I was well impresssed and they go on ebay for £50 odd ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:47 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 2437
Location: Kent UK
Harryburgundy wrote:
The geezer who I helped yesterday is a nice fella, when he said he was going to buy a bike I said 'whatever you do don't buy a piece of poo from Halfords etc'....what did he do :?: :roll:


I think that most people go to Halfords because of sheer laziness. All they have to do is park the car outside the doors and just walk in to the shop. That plus the fact that most of them are next door to their favourite supermarket.

The other thing that gets me about Halfords is their pricing policy. Some crap Apollo that is being sold for £79.95 reduced from £150! It was only worth £80 in the first place! :evil: :evil: Halfords seem to be the DFS of the bike world. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:50 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:34 pm
Posts: 12314
Location: Branston, Lincoln
The do have the odd nice GT in, and also stock the Boardman range (and I doubt Chris would put his name to sh1t).

We do have to remind ourselves though that 95% of Halfrauds customers will never ride offroad, so dont need 'proper' MTB's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:11 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 2437
Location: Kent UK
Pickle wrote:
stock the Boardman range (and I doubt Chris would put his name to sh1t).


We've had a couple of those in our shop for repairs. It's a question of nice parts shame about the frame.

One of them cost the customer £1000. It looked really nice with X0 rear mech and XT shifters and such but when you looked at the frame...... You could get a better frame on a £500 Giant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 am 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: RetroModding™ since 1988
Xesh wrote:
Harryburgundy wrote:
The geezer who I helped yesterday is a nice fella, when he said he was going to buy a bike I said 'whatever you do don't buy a piece of poo from Halfords etc'....what did he do :?: :roll:


I think that most people go to Halfords because of sheer laziness. All they have to do is park the car outside the doors and just walk in to the shop. That plus the fact that most of them are next door to their favourite supermarket.

The other thing that gets me about Halfords is their pricing policy. Some crap Apollo that is being sold for £79.95 reduced from £150! It was only worth £80 in the first place! :evil: :evil: Halfords seem to be the DFS of the bike world. :evil:
Ahh, halfords raise the price of a bike that will be in the sale for just a bit longer than legally required, then drop it to just below the original price, making it look like a massive saving.

eg £200 bike, goes upto £300, then in the sale for £150, making it look like 50% off, when it's only 25% off in reality (and still a P.O.S)

halfords do actually stock the odd half decent bike, but most are shite & you're lucky if you get a member of staff who is half interested or actually knows what they're on about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:30 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:57 pm
Posts: 2437
Location: Kent UK
Andy B wrote:
Ahh, halfords raise the price of a bike that will be in the sale for just a bit longer than legally required, then drop it to just below the original price, making it look like a massive saving.

eg £200 bike, goes upto £300, then in the sale for £150, making it look like 50% off, when it's only 25% off in reality (and still a P.O.S)


Hence my DFS reference. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:36 am 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Posts: 4144
Location: RetroModding™ since 1988
Xesh wrote:
Andy B wrote:
Ahh, halfords raise the price of a bike that will be in the sale for just a bit longer than legally required, then drop it to just below the original price, making it look like a massive saving.

eg £200 bike, goes upto £300, then in the sale for £150, making it look like 50% off, when it's only 25% off in reality (and still a P.O.S)


Hence my DFS reference. :)
Never used DFS, so I didn't know they did that, although it doesn't surprise me in the least, all the purveyors of finest tat probably do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bollox64, gradeAfailure, Joe_Rides, paulswheels and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group