Light 'em up!!!

albash82

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So, after today being the first truly miserable commute i've had so far this year, i've decided i REALLY need some lights.

I've seen reviews but no-one seems to test any lights that don't cost an arm & a leg!

Got a budget of about £30, can this buy me decent lights? Suppose i could just go down to my lbs and ask but i don't work in town & they're always jam-packed on a Saturday.

Any suggestions folks? Ta.

Does your commute only take place on well lit urban roads? If so I'd say that a LED front light and a few well placed rear flashing lights would do, along with a tonne of high viz vests/ tags / clips etc. Have a look online at somewhere like Wiggle for an idea of whats about, they have a few Cateyes for about your price range I think.

Most of the more expensive lights are for when you need to light up the road to see to ride, rather than to be seen, in which case you ar not going to get much change from 100 notes if you want to ride fast.

I bought 2 torches from ebay and strapped them to me bars with a homemade clamp. Work amazing and much better than any purpose built jobs. At the moment lots of people are talking about the cree led torches from tesco's at a £10 each. I'm currently looking into a budget/homemade system with a bit more juice.

sweet! cheers guys. gives me something to think about until i finally get paid... it's been a long month!

maybe the squirrels'll see me coming sooner next time - nearly had one t'other day!

I just got one of those cree lights from tesco silverburn(cheers Kiaser)and man is it bright, will try and find some way to fix it onto the handlebars tonight and let you know what I think and wether 1 will be sufficient?

As I said got me one of them £10 led torches from tesco and it is amazing for the money- would even say that two would let you do offroad night riding albeit a bit slower than your £200 light set ups allow.

Here is a good idea of how it looks at night and the very technical mount I had to fashion given it is just a torch not a dedicated bike light. I'm sure you could also do something too :roll:

Attachments

• DSC05123 (Large).JPG
    DSC05123 (Large).JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,214
  • DSC05124 (Large).JPG
    DSC05124 (Large).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,214
Back