I ride 12miles each way all year.
My top tips:
- Get a routine, you will forget stuff or faff for ages otherwise
- I have locker and showers. Leave trousers/shoes at work. Take in shirt/socks/pants each day.
- Put clothes in a bin bag inside rucksack - you really don't want wet clothes to start!
- Overshoes are the saviour to cold feet. Even the Aldidl neoprene make a huuuge difference (and stop your shoes getting soaked for the journey home)
- I rarely use a waterproof unless its lashing down. Even event makes you sweat if you ride hard
- Get some windproof gloves..mmmm toasty
- Earband/skullcap dead useful
- Two front and rear lights. Better to be seen and have some redundancy
- Black hi-viz stuff - stick it all over your bike. By day, cannot be seen. In lights its like you 'glow' (can also put on bladed spokes
). Assuming you have a black/grey bike of course
- Start to enjoy flies. You will eat lots.
- Mudguards are great. They may look shite, but amazing how often you ride in the wet when not raining
- Get a water bottle. Nice to have a drink.
- Take a tube and pump.
- Vary your routes
- Get a computer. If you are like me you end up chasing times/average speeds
- Get a good base layer
- Lycra is king
- Enjoy it!