Michael Bonney sad news

Re:

Just found out via pinkbike, sat here welling up. Such a heart wrenching read. Lost for words but totally get it.

Re:

Used to post on this site and was always very helpful when it came to retro Orange.

Heart wrenching post and what a terrible, terrible shame.

Michael who was a well known figure in Orange bikes history, sadly passed away on Saturday.

Just as an update from Linzi, Michael's wife on Michael's facebook page, late last night.

Michael, for those who don’t already know, passed away on Saturday afternoon in a peaceful and dignified manner at home as he wished. I feel so sad Michael felt unable to continue on but at the same time I’ll take solace that he is finally free from suffering and at peace.

At this sad time I’m minded of a conversation we had shortly after his accident, at a time when he still had dreams and the reality of complete paralysis was sinking in. He told me of a dream he had the previous night and how gutted he felt to wake to the realisation it was only a dream - he told me:

I dreamt of my hands and legs being stung by nettles as I rip down the trail that leads to the Beamish Burn, it's dry dusty and all I hear is the laughter from JMC and Colin D who lead me down, Brian F is behind me and the summer sun is setting, it’s a perfect biking night, I'm hoping it's not just a dream but something I'll look forward to with my old buddies.....

Well Michael, I hope you can finally feel the adrenaline burn in your legs, I hope those nettles are stinging like **** and most of all I hope you are free of suffering and pain and are riding hard and fast with your buddies who went before you...... ride free my love xx

Re:

A quote from Metro.... he said:

”I’ve spent all of my working life getting people excited about bikes and even though spinal injuries happen to cyclists, and especially to mountain bikers, it’s very rare. I was unlucky, shit happens. Get out there and ride, for me.”

I have a day off tomorrow, and I shall go for a ride.

Happy trails Michael.

Just wanted to add to this, that myself and 999 others (plus a few hangers on), Friday night at Kendal bike night, all stood up and gave Michael a hoofing great clap and a cheer.

Having known the man, my thoughts are forever with his family.

You're getting the biggest air now chap.

M

Back