Bikes left for the scrap man

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Is there a thread for these / Just saved two old steel mtbs from crusher . A Sarcen & a Carrera .Both equipped with Shimano Altus components .Basic ...but free and lots of tinker time. :cool:
I asked the owners before taking them . They looked suprised anyone would want them.

Re:

I have a scrap man offer me bikes all the time, although it's got to the point that now I've educated him a bit he's taken to parting a few out. That's gratitude for you :LOL:

I’d love to rescue one, sadly haven’t seen any. I’ve taken to eBay “spares repair” and strip them down to keep or sell bits

Re:

I used to save bikes all the time. Used to fix them up and donate to charity. Had people offering me all sorts from barely used 1 year old apollos to early 90s Marins and the likes.

One guy said he had an old downhill bike I could have to save them being scrapped. Thought he was one of these people who thought any cheap full sus bike was a downhill bike so imagine my surprise when I was greeted by a Cannondale Super V :shock:

Have saved some interesting bikes including a 1996 GT arrowhead and 1999 Kona Blast. (The GT turned into my personal bike for a year)

Attachments

• gt.jpg
    gt.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 983
Re:

5 weeks ago, this was in a skip opposite my house.

When I got it home, the rear wheel was buckled, the cables seized, gears stuck. :(

Two hours later, some time with a spoke key sorted the wheel, lots of GT85 sorted the cables and mech's. :cool:

One day later it was with a nurse of my acquaintance, who needed a bike for her eldest child.

Job done, I had a beer...... :LOL:

Why do people throw things like this away. A Saracen is a good make.

Dave

Re:

Why do people throw things like this away. A Saracen is a good make.
I'll treat that as a non-rhetorical question. :)

At one end of the socio-economic scale you have people subject to a punitive 'benefits' regime. It's hard to keep your chattels when you are being faced with eviction and destitution. At the other end, you have people who can buy a new bike every week if they so desire. They are given no discouragement from doing so.

What's gonna happen?

Back