Buying an insurnce write off - car

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Panda 4 is talking about buying an insurance write off which is for sale locally, with the intention of using it on the road. I can't recall the regulations about this or if it is even feasible - anyone know?

cheers

Re:

All depends what category write off it is? It needs to be declared to your insurance whichever one it is.

Also beware the effect on resale value. Buyers assume it's two cars welded together, even if write-offs (like my 13 year old Merc) can be simply for bumper damage.

Re:

Resale value is cheaper but also purchase price is cheaper too so balances out.

The biggest issue is the market that will actually purchase a written off car is small. If you intend to buy and keep until it stops they can be a wise buy if the car is a decent repair job.

Personally I would just buy a straight car within budget and stay clear unless you know what you are looking at.

Know a few people who buy cars and bikes which have an insurance marker against them. All depends on what catagory it is really. Some are purely cosmetic damage while others are actuall write offs and need to be tested properly before being allowed back on the road.

If you know the seller and trust the details of the damage then there is nothing wrong with buying one as far as saftey is concerned and you can get some really good deals. However, like said above, insurance will be affected by cars/bikes with markers and some wont even insure it.

As for resale, you will always be able to sell it on so no worries there.

Another thing is i know plenty of cars which suffered worse damage than some insurance claims and were never recorded, so all because a car doesnt have a maker against it doesnt mean it has never been wrote off/damaged!

Mark

Back