Any legal experts? Possibly been ripped off....

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hopefully someone will have some legal type experience and be able to advise on this.

Sent my car wheel to an individual who has set himself up as an alloy wheel refurbisher and touts for trade on various car forums. He has done work for plenty of others on said forums in the past without issue. He also did my own wheels about 18 months back without issue - service was excellent hence using again.
Sadly there now seems to be a problem. Sent him the wheel and tyre two months ago. Constant excuses about delays with the refurbsihing, courier problems etc. The bloke is harder and harder to contact (have his mobile, work address and email). Getting to the point now I think I may have been 'tucked up' .

Other than ringing and chasing daily any advice? Is it worth contacting the old bill / trading standards? Or will neither care?

To make matters worse I've already paid for the work, plus I'm running round in the car on the sh1t spare :evil:

I'd contact the CAB and find out what your rights are.

Although ultimately i fear you would need to persue him personally through the small-claims court :?

Where abouts is he?

If he actually has a workshop/premisies , Might be worth paying a visit? At least face to face you might get your money back ??

Send him a formal letter, recorded delivery, to his work address giving him 7 or 14 days to complete the job or give you your wheel/tyre and money back.

If no joy, I can only sense legal action through the Courts via a solicitor :(

As Pickle says, then if no joy issue a small claim - just been through the procedure for someone who did a PP chargeback for a frame they had received.

This is simple as anything now and done via the Government website (Money Claim Online). Takes an hour costs, £25. All done on-line. If he does not pay when (if) found against then issue a CCJ (County Court Judgement) - no extra cost. If he ignores that his credit rating is totally ****ed.

If he still ignores that then next step is Bailiff's etc. Again all done on-line but will cost around £50 more.

See here for the full details:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

Cheers for the info. Will follow up if i still have nothing at the start of next week. Managed to get an email off him today. Normal flannel though....

You need a paper trail, including proof of delivery of your wheel to him.

Document everything you do, including printing out your emails to him, and any responses. That includes phone conversions with dates. That way you don't look too flighty before the magistrate. Then Murphy's Law kicks in. :)

Could be the guy is just traveling in the fast lane too long. :(

you can probably sue him for any additional cost of getting the work done elsewhere,

trading standards are pretty good at advising on such matters, they may have received complaints about him already,

Back