Bose Wave cd skipping

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I need some advice from the audiophiles resident here.I was offered a Bose Wave for a decent price,only catch is the cd is skipping.Is this a difficult/expensive fix?

Can't speak specifically about the Bose Wave, but if it is like most CD players it could be as simple as dust on the laser lens or as complex as the laser beginning to die. The first could be fixed through an air bulb like the kind used to clean camera equipment. The second might involve replacing the laser unit itself.

Personally, unless it is very cheap and/or you are willing to play around with it - I'd pass on it. I've wasted far too much of my time nursing old CD players back to life, only to have them die again in a few months.

Re:

Info is sketchy online and pretty much echoes what you suggest.I doubt its simply a case of sticking in a cd cleaner that costs a couple of quid(he more than likely tried that).Unlikely a cheap or easy fix.Pity.I coudve got it for 120 or so but thats a lot to pay for just a radio....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

120 smackers insny cheap if it's goosed :xmas-big-grin:

could be an easy fix, but, meh, 20 quid maybe

there are so many better options these days

These are brilliant https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIFI-Class-2 ... 2393194907

A 50w x2 model managed to run my old Mission 753 quite happily on quite a small power supply (although I do use a much more brutal 13.8a 12 volt one in the garage).

I even repurposed a cheap Asda Polaroid bluetooth speaker and got that to run at quite reasonable levels running off its own battery or usb power supply

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

These are brilliant https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIFI-Class-2 ... 2393194907

You've changed your tune. A few years back I mentioned how impressed I was with a little 20w Topping tripath amp that I bought for about £30; how you scoffed and declared all "digital amps" to be rubbish compared to good ol' class A. :p

A class D, chip amp or tripath amp costing a few hundred pounds, or less, isn't going to out perform a 30kg class A behemouth costing as much as a family car, but I reckon some of them would give a lot of that mid range NAD, Arcam, Denon, Rotel. etc. stuff a good run for their money.

The problem with some of these obscure, primarily chinese "hi-fi" products is that quality can vary a lot, and like the kit and DIY stuff, you can't really try before you buy. You may find some reviews, but ultimately it's a bit of a gamble. Some of the brands are becoming better known, Topping, Shanling, Little Dot, Aune, etc. but it's still hard to demo them, however, you can be fairly sure they won't go up in a puff of smoke when you power them up.

That wasn't me because I have no time for class A. Always would have chosen a good quality amplifier over any of these little digital things regardless.

Class A, oh god no, ewww, ickky, bleaugh!

Aaach!!!

You'll be saying I like valves next

Back