Bike shed Radio

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
My bike shed radio, from a local charity shop, autotunes when it feels like it. The buttons no longer work and it is time to say good bye!

I am looking for recomendations for a suitable replacement, got to be mains powered with some kind of resistance to condensation/damp winter air, it won't go outside but the shed is unheated. Ideally with a mini jack line in and/or Bluetooth. Doesn't have to be DAB.

I have a budget up to £60ish, can anyone help?

Re:

Thought this was going to be a link to a new radio station ... bike shed radio .. coming in your ears .. head DJ Alan Partridge :cool:

I've been using a little stereo Fm/dab radio from Argos .. very similar to this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7427545 ... rLEALw_wcB
Head phone socket on the back to which I plug plug a pair of computer speakers ... not HiFi but sounds great for what it is.

Car stereos are always good at damp resistance. I made a 12V mains supply with an old aquarium transformer with a really fat electrolytic capacitor in parallel for smoothing out mains hum.

Re:

I settled on a Roberts stream 94i, massively over budget but fulfills all my requirements except resistance to moisture DOH!

It is sufficiently expensive that I won't be leaving it in the shed though, so hopefully all will be good.

Re:

Having this issue at the moment.

Recently moved my teeny tiny little Bush DAB radio into the kitchen, and put my Pure DAB / CD player / sound system jobby into the garage.

After only about a week, the Pure no longer wants to change radio station, and only the volume knob works. Blow some hot air at it and it starts working almost straight away!

I only really have 6 music on anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Re:

Two posible strategies, I have used both.
1) old sony sports stuff. Absolutely fantastic. Good for me as I only use tapes and CDs. Various speaker options. Veery cool. Suitably retro.
2) Cheap stereo from eBay. I wanted digital radio, so got a sony mini system from the bay for about a tenner. Lasted a couple of years. When it died, I just bought another for £20 or so. Couple of quid a year, I can live with that.

A clear plastic bag protects well against water, dust etc.

Admittedly it isnt pretty to look at but its very functional.

Re:

New radio for free in a few quick steps:
Go on pop master on radio two
Beat the other person with superior music trivia knowledge
Complete three-in-ten
Win DAB radio.
Give shout-out to retrobike members.

Simples.

Re:

I picked up 2 Roberts radios from the local tip when an old bloke was about to bin them - quick rescue and a clean and they both work brilliantly.

Back