Who do you post stuff with these days?

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Posted a pair of cranks recently and was a bit shocked at the price. So who do you post with these days? I've not really been selling stuff for a while but need a clear out. I'd be giving it away at this rate!

Re:

Prices seem to have gone completely bonkers recently. I sent a full bike this week and would usually expect to have plenty of options starting around £12. Though parcels2go I could only choose between Hermes or Parcelforce. Hermes was £20 or £25 if you wanted any kind of protection and Parcelforce started at £35!! Went direct to a few more who wouldn't even quote. This was for a light early 90's rigid bike.

The greed of these companies will ultimately cost them as less people will send. Who wants to pay £25+ postage on any bike worth less than £100?

Re:

Depends on size/bulk. Funnily enough I often find the good old Post Office reasonable for smaller items up to around 2kg.

Parcelforce can vary a lot but I've even had some good deals from them.

Big & bulky go with myhermes or Paisley Freight.

I use the PO for all my small to medium parcels. Big i get the buyer to collect or arrange their own. That way they can decide on how much protection they need or how cheap a service they want.

mark

Less than 750g and less than 25mm thick, I take it to the post office.
Other wise it's the cheapest option on parcel2go.

The prices and carriers I am using have changed a bit this year, I am using
my hermes more and very rarely UPS or parcel locker. Those were the three
I used most.

The basic price for 1kg parcels has gone up 30p.
Parcels the size of bike boxes have been hit the worst, I priced sending a
bike exhaust, which didn't come to bits, and it was going to be around a
tenner. The exhaust sold a few months after I got a price to post it and it
cost me close to £20 to post i!

Just sent some motorbike leathers through the PO, as they were over 2kg it cost £13 :shock:

small / cheap I use hermes, 2-3 quid for a small parcel
small / mot cheap I use post office, 4 quid second class signed for

Medium it gets tricky. I use parcel2go and tend to send with hermes for cheap stuff or UPS / parcelforce for more valuable stuff (wheels, frames)

full bikes, I have used senditnow, its post office really but a bit cheaper. send a full bike box for under £20, but i think they have just priced themselves up with everyone else so more like 30-40 now for a big box.

Re:

Cheap small items that weigh over 2kg can be a bit harsh, doesn't really affect the bike world but the cost goes from 2.95 to whatever parcelforce charge, at which point UPStoday is my choice. Would be nice if there was a service in between large letter and small parcel, considering how large a small parcel can be. Seems unfair having to pay 2.95 for a single brake lever when you could put it in such a large box.

Back