Prescription Oakleys

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So it turns out I need glasses. As an on/off Oakley collector over the years this is going to cause a problem (prices for prescription Oakley lenses are just astronomical). But I recently came across https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/ (aka Ciliary Blue) and have sent a couple of my old crystal-framed Frogskins for new prescription lenses, which are about to land any day now. Like other online opticians they will fit lenses to your old frames, but unlike most other places they seem to be enthusiastic about working on Oakleys and offer comparable looking lenses to Oakley's trademark iridium lenses rather than just the standard grey/brown etc.

While they're not Oakley lenses and I'm never going to be able to replace the ones I love the most (VR50 Black iridium, Prizm Road and the Persimmon-black iridium transition lens), for what they do the prices seem good to me. For the Frogskins I've got a clear prescription set with Blue-V coated lenses for £36, and a tinted prescription green mirror lens for £57 (like the ones below, which is another pair they've done). I'll do an update once they're here, but the reviews of the company seem to be overwhelmingy positive, the images of their Oakley (and other) work look good, and their own comments suggest a degree of enthusiasm about their work: https://www.reglaze-oakley-frames.com/o ... s/images2/. They will also do the curved-type sports lenses, apparently.

Edit - photos now below

Re:

Watching with interest as I am a longtime Oakley wearer I currently have Juliet’s with prescription tinted Oakley lenses ( actually had to a slightly wrong presentation last time as my prescription was outside what Oakley could fit in them) and Oakley transitions lenses in a set of tumble weeds. But got several other sets that I might look at.

I'm sat here now wearing a pair of Oakley crosslinks, and have been an avid oakley wearer since my teens, but only really 'needed' prescription glasses for the last few years.

I have a pack of daily contact lenses and use them if it's sunny. no worries about carrying your regular glasses if you go somewhere shady, and your prescription will probably change every few years. You can have 50 pairs of oakleys and never worry about prescription lenses.

Works for me anyways. I only get through maybe 2-3 packs of contacts a year, as I'm happy to wear glasses most of the time.

My_Teenage_Self":2h806i72 said:
I'm sat here now wearing a pair of Oakley crosslinks, and have been an avid oakley wearer since my teens, but only really 'needed' prescription glasses for the last few years.

I have a pack of daily contact lenses and use them if it's sunny. no worries about carrying your regular glasses if you go somewhere shady, and your prescription will probably change every few years.
I think this is the route I'll try sooner or later. I've got a Latch EX as my regular glasses, which I'm getting used to. I want to have a spare/pair for working at home at the screen, plus I really need a tinted lens to hand for driving. Beyond that, I've got a few special pairs for cycling (Flaks/Radarlocks) with lenses that I could never replace with anything as suitable with a prescription in them. I can ride ok for now without the prescription lens, but sooner or later I'll give contacts plus the regular Oakleys a go, I guess.

My_Teenage_Self":2h806i72 said:
You can have 50 pairs of oakleys
Well, now you're talking my language... :cool:

My_Teenage_Self":3tx2jwv3 said:

I have a pack of daily contact lenses and use them if it's sunny. no worries about carrying your regular glasses if you go somewhere shady, and your prescription will probably change every few years. You can have 50 pairs of oakleys and never worry about prescription lenses.

Works for me anyways. I only get through maybe 2-3 packs of contacts a year, as I'm happy to wear glasses most of the time.

Glad that works you mate. Sadly for me I have tried and tried but just cannot get on with contacts unfortunately. I to have been a fan/wearer since the early 90’s.

They've arrived, I'm really happy. The prescription is right and the lens quality seems good. (I've bought cheap aftermarket non-prescription lenses for Oakleys in the past at around £15/set and the quality is miles, miles better than those.) I've got crystal black and crystal clear frames and I can't quite figure out which combination I prefer but I'm leaning towards crystal clear with both - I have enough sets of frames! The black frames with the clear lenses look the most natural for regular glasses, but I think I actually prefer the clear frames with the clear lenses - it's quite a unique look but pretty cool I think. The blue/purple tint of the coating matches the blueish tint of the crystal frame really well when the light catches it, though it doesn't show in the photos.

For the green lenses the finish is really striking and absolutely comparable to the Oakley iridium finish. For the base I chose the darkest brown tint and while it's about the darkest day of the year so far and I didn't get home until 6pm, it seems that it really is a pretty dark lens - they're definitely going to be effective in bright sunlight, I'm not so sure how suitable they'll be in medium light. Also the 'brown' tint is quite reddish - I'd probably have preferred the bronzey tint of the brown Oakley lenses, but I'll need to try these out properly once some suitable weather turns up to get used to them.

Here are some not very good photos taken in the evening (will probably try some more during the day when the light is better), all frame/lens combinations. I find the original Frogskins so comfortable and wearable (the reissues are wider and don't fit me so well), much more so than the Latch EX that I've been using as my regular pair.

Big thumbs up.

Attachments

• IMG_4513 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4513 (Custom).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4499 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4499 (Custom).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4500 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4500 (Custom).JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4516 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4516 (Custom).JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4507 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4507 (Custom).JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_4509 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4509 (Custom).JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 505
So glad I saw this as I was just about to shell out for a pair of prescription Oakleys. I've got a couple of pairs of sunglasses I don't use and some racing jackets with badly scratched lenses so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for posting it up.

tim75":3rk1gk4l said:
So glad I saw this as I was just about to shell out for a pair of prescription Oakleys. I've got a couple of pairs of sunglasses I don't use and some racing jackets with badly scratched lenses so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for posting it up.
No worries - I found this discount code which was working for 10% discount at the time, in case it helps - EyeHealth10

Fatal Swan":1s1jewt4 said:
tim75":1s1jewt4 said:
No worries - I found this discount code which was working for 10% discount at the time, in case it helps - EyeHealth10

Great thanks, I'll give it a go.

Back