Computer help

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I really must be getting old :roll: I haven't the foggiest about computers these days, when before I would have no problem taking them to bits and buggering about. Anyroads I have joined the wireless network brigade and need to know if my computer has a wireless adaptor or if I need one, where should I start to look? Appreciate this could be a minefield question so chip in with any help if you can :D

if it is brand new pc. then I would have thought it would be a wireless capable pc. If older than a few years then would have to buy a wireless plug thingy

You may wanna have a look at the network connections (Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections).

See if there's anything there besides "Local Area Connection". If you have a wireless adapter installed there should also be something like "Wireless Connection" be in there. If there's only "Local Area Connection" you probably have to go get a WiFi thingie.

Hope it helps...

Cheers folks ran a network scan thing and I don't think I've got one. Any pitfalls when buying?

computerbitz":2e3q7ap3 said:
kaiser":2e3q7ap3 said:
Cheers folks ran a network scan thing and I don't think I've got one. Any pitfalls when buying?

you connecting through Cable (Virgin aand similar) or BT line

BT line

i generally find the best solution is a pci card (assuming you have a free pci slot!).

i just bought a linksys one from play.com - about 16/17 quid delivered.

kaiser":380sulfp said:
computerbitz":380sulfp said:
kaiser":380sulfp said:

you connecting through Cable (Virgin aand similar) or BT line

BT line

you got the wireless modem yet or looking at buying one if got one what make and model is it

internal wireless pci and exertnal usb makes no odds what one but the type of router/modem and card speed you got does as we have 802.11 b, g and n defining difference is speed and connections the router modem accepts so if you got a mimo enabled router (multi in multi out = more lanes on the motor way to enable faster speeds ) it makes no sense getting a standard one that wont use all lanes if you understand what i mean.

things to ask how many computers and consoles connecting to it and also what they are going to be doing are you a heavy downloader or not

Back