If you thought you could escape

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
your old rubbish broadband provider then think again. Many years ago i joined BT. Utter rubbish. So joined Plusnet (or as i called them minusnet ) Again started good . But now utter rubbish with ultra low speeds. Then i find out that BT own them!! So off i go to join a new company. John Lewis. I now find out that they too are owned by Plusnet.
Can't join Virgin as not covered in our area. Leaving me Sky, the Evil Murdoch empire. So much for having a choice! :evil:

Re:

There are more: Vodafone have a pretty good deal at the moment: fibre broadband starting at £20/month with a £9.99 set up fee, and they have their own cabling, apparently, so it's not just repackaged BT. Whether it's good for you depends on the features you want. I've no idea what their customer service is like. At the end of the day, all of them just want to profit from you though.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":2zdr083q said:
There are more: Vodafone have a pretty good deal at the moment: fibre broadband starting at £20/month with a £9.99 set up fee, and they have their own cabling, apparently, so it's not just repackaged BT. Whether it's good for you depends on the features you want. I've no idea what their customer service is like. At the end of the day, all of them just want to profit from you though.

I'd forgotten the mobile big boy Vodafone. Look in to this with more care next time.

Re:

Pretty sure Sky uses BT wiring also. We had it for a while but it started playing up and the customer service from Sky was terrible.

Luckily we have Virgin in our area - the internet is great, however they keep putting the price up every year and it's not exactly cheap to begin with.

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":2q9maykc said:
Pretty sure Sky uses BT wiring also. We had it for a while but it started playing up and the customer service from Sky was terrible.

Luckily we have Virgin in our area - the internet is great, however they keep putting the price up every year and it's not exactly cheap to begin with.

Most if not all use bt wiring, they have to unless they dig up the roads and pavements. The only exception is virgin as they did just this.
Vodafone may have cabling in major cities but in suburban areas its highly unlikely.
Sky weren’t bad for us for the 2 years we used them and my parents have had a decent service too.
As I said most used the bt fttc setup with software separation at the exchange.

Carl.

I had this year's ago with a credit card. Was fed up with Barclaycards customer service, so switched to Egg. Less than a year later Barclaycard bought Egg and I was back where I started.

As already said, outside of the major cities whatever you get will almost certainly be via Openreach. Doesn't mean it's no good though... if you want decent service (both performance and customer), you'll just have to pay for it.

A business broadband package from pretty much any provider gets you far less annoying "support", pay a bit more and go for a dedicated business broadband provider and you'll get top notch support and decent throughput.

The speed will in the end of the day only be as good as the cabling to your house permits of course, though bad providers will give low throughput even on connections which could be far better.

It really is a maze now. The large multi nationals buy every body up. Remember Klein :cry: Well i would had liked it if they had told me that they are also Plusnet. It would have surprised me with their honesty. That's dead now profit rules. So in 12 months i will be off. One day i plan to turn off the computer for good. It's been a source of pain & trouble and i only see the people like Bill Gates benefiting from it and the web. I don't have a mobile; iPad or a TV. So putting the computer in the bin won't be much harder. My FM tuner works perfectly.

Re:

Sounds like your in the same position as I am except with me it was Virgin.
I've no TV, house phone or computer and don't regret it.
I have tried BT since but didn't like being charged for service I didn't have so I cancelled (and that was a epic experience).

Back