Convert hubs to fit Wheelchair

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
On the off chance, has anyone converted a standard hub (front probably) to fit a wheelchair (so different push in axle with a push Q/R )

FluffyChicken":3bs05zoy said:
On the off chance, has anyone converted a standard hub (front probably) to fit a wheelchair (so different push in axle with a push Q/R )

if anyone should know it will be Dan Chambers / Danson

Re:

Use a front QR wheel. Then machine a plate with a deep slot slightly thicker than the gap on the end of the axle, then use a rear quick release, machined steel hex section serrated at one end drilled and threaded :?:

What's the plan?...

I have plenty of the proper wheelchair hubs if you're building from the ground up. Mostly 36 hole, black or silver.
Also the frame sleeves and wheelchair QR axles to fit.
Hubs are free to a good home, axles etc pretty cheap.

If you have to convert, most wheelchairs run imperial R8 bearings to give a 1/2" bore for the QR axle.
A few Euro companies prefer 12mm axles, so use 6001 bearings instead.
We have conversion bearings in stock to sort out any 12.7mm to 12mm or back conversion problems.

Axle lengths vary from around 90mm to 135mm depending on the 'stack height' of the hub bearings and axle sleeve combined.

All the best,

Phil Wood have wheel chair hubs, so I guess they can help you with a conversion if its possible to do it.

Re:

It more for the future, my son has the standard NHS chair that designed mainly to push around a room while he can do it himself too.
But it's not the easiest to move.(or the nicest for anyone to push). It an Active Junior 3.
Tyre are useless on smooth surfaces, or outside.
The wheels and frame is bending in now, it doesn't seem to cope with places I take it ;-)

My main idea was to alter a bike axle and build it offset rim and fit a pneumatic bumpy tyre so I could swap them in with only minor brake alteration.

Hopefully the NHS are more flexible again with wheelchairs next time we go, but in reality you need about n+1 of these things.
He has used more sporty chairs (we are close to go-kids-go.org.uk so go to a few events and children in need adverts) but these are less good for school or for people pushing them.

What with the walkers getting worn out and outgrowing the trike and the new trike is not right as he can't pedal a full circle (the old was a fix wheel).
Need to see what I can do with the stumey hub and see if the freewheel can be made to a fixed wheel.

Anyway, thanks for the hints. 6001 that's Hope Suspension/Mono/TiGlide size :)

Haaland":1pa4fpk0 said:
Phil Wood have wheel chair hubs, so I guess they can help you with a conversion if its possible to do it.
Their hubset would need a couple.of retrobike to be sold.
If it was an adult wheelchair and not going to get thrown around, folded in the back of card and schools. Then maybe.

Now front castors, what a fecking stupid idea, tip the chair, get snarled in cobbles and cracks, the slightest accessible curb edge.

Action3 is a French or Spanish built chair, so has 12mm axles...6001 bearings, then.

What wheel size does the chair have? I presume they're the 20 or 22" ones on the Junior chair...

I can give you a set of 24"/507mm wheels that when fitted with 2" ish MTB tyres have an OD that matches the usual wheelchair 24"/540mm with a 25mm tyre.
These are usually dished so that the tyre clearance at the top is roughly the same as the narrower 24"/540mm tyre that is very common on adult chairs.

If the wheels are the smaller 22 or 20" something similar might also be possible with one of the BMX or trials sized rims.

On the front castors, we get some pretty good results with 5" softroll casters around 1.5" wide, with a softer compound.
They tend to be less prone to flutter than the narrower ones.

Sounds like a nice little rigid frame chair such as a Kuschall K-series Kids would be good next time around. You should be able to get a decent proportion of the funding via Wheelchair Services under the Independent option voucher scheme.

All the best,

Re:

501 (iirc) 22" fitted at the moment with solid tyres.
These are wide castors luckily, but they are not so good at the cm high curbs you get, they sudden turn and dig in.

For a while, a few years back, WizKidz ran our wheelchair services, we had a better service then and also good advice then.
Now it's just some company.

Hmm, that's the larger of the two 22" sizes, so needs some really fat tyres to switch out to 406mm BMX wheels with the same diameter. Something around 3"/72mm should work OK:

501 + (2x25) = 551mm diameter.
551 - 406 = 145mm/2 = 72.5mm tyre to get same diameter.

Biggest straight BMX and trials tyres are around 54-57mm, so would give a smaller diameter.
Venturing into Fat Bike country there's only really the the Specialized Big Roller at 20 x 2.8" then up to 4" plus ones.

There are also some decent treaded non-marking pneumatic tyres available for 22"/501, such as the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, that you're average wheelchair service doesn't know or care about.

You can get your advice regarding wheelchairs from anywhere (I currently have an interest in such a company, so will not make any recommendations).
The NHS Wheelchair Service and their OTs can make recommendations, and also some specification requirements if they are funding the chair, but you are not required to actually use the services of their authorised supplier.
Much better to ditch the Partnership voucher option (which ties you in to the particular chair and service supplier that the Wheelchair Service dictates since the chair remains their property) and go for the Independent voucher option, where you can have whatever chair you want (within certain specification), from any supplier you want, and it becomes your property. Wheelchair Services fund the cost of the chair which they recommend, you can top up if necessary for the chair of your choice. You need to pay for any servicing requirements and parts, but as you're bike-literate, there's nothing in a wheelchair out of reach.

Most wheelchair services won't tell you about this, as it costs them more money and they often have a vested financial interest in keeping you in-house with their preferred supplier. In my 20 years of experience, this NHS/Wheelchair Service/supplier relationship is often tied up with backhanders and bribery.

All the best,

Back