I wouldn't buy a electric car from

The whole electric car/bike 'fashion' is a big con. Like 3D TV its all been tried before and failed.

Well, that's quite nice is that you won't..or can't..
After all 'Tesla' doesn't actually make anything except promises..

Re:

He's just a man who wants to make money to solve his own 'problems', not save the planet. I heard he build a private tunnel just to shorten his commute.

In my view, electric cars are a fad, and not the final solution. They will be pushed heavily now as an alternative to combustion engines, and when the hydrogen powered car replaces it, they will be acknowledged as a bad idea and a knee jerk reaction to a problem that could be solved in better ways longer term.

Osella":36xtdjbl said:
Well, that's quite nice is that you won't..or can't..
After all 'Tesla' doesn't actually make anything except promises..
There's an S and a 3 in our village, so they must make something now and again.

ishaw":36xtdjbl said:
He's just a man who wants to make money to solve his own 'problems', not save the planet. I heard he build a private tunnel just to shorten his commute.

In my view, electric cars are a fad, and not the final solution. They will be pushed heavily now as an alternative to combustion engines, and when the hydrogen powered car replaces it, they will be acknowledged as a bad idea and a knee jerk reaction to a problem that could be solved in better ways longer term.

Quite astute. Another recent bit of number crunching shows that cradle to grave, a small, economical petrol engined vehicle is still responsible for less lifetime emissions than an electric one. This apparently holds true even in places like France, where over 70 percent of their power is from nuclear sources. Suddenly my Smart car makes sense.

There are 2 issues to my mind. Firstly, there simply is not sufficient rare earth minerals in existence to replace everyone's car one for one with an electric one. One way or another, cars of the size and layout we know them today are an endangered species.

And the second problem is the approach most manufacturers are taking. Most (although not all) are simply churning out a product that is comparable in size to a typical car, and weighs more. How is it sensible to buy a 1700kg Nissan Leaf and drive it round with a single occupant most of the time. Going back to my Shart car again, I know my journeys are almost exclusively sole-occupant in nature, so bought an 800kg car. Less than half the resources used before it even turns a wheel.

The car driving masses are heading for a great fall. I don't quite know what form it'll take or when, but the current motoring behaviour and customs won t be able to continue because it's impossible (without mining asteroids etc) to build enough electric cars to sustain it. And when it crashes us cyclists and diddy car drivers will be laughing our arses off.

Re:

Elon Musk is a brilliant and dramtically forward thinking engineer and futurist who thinks and cares deeply about humankind’s future and, most importantly, puts his visions and ideas into action. He is one of those change agents who is brave enough to be different and chance great failures on the path to success.
Musk is a sensitive, passionate and insightful deep thinker who worries a lot about our problems and tries to find solutions for the benefit, not only of himself, but of us all generally. He wishes to make the world a better place.
Check him out on youtube. Watch several of his interviews, watch the entire recent 2hr interview with Joe Rogan then say you’re not impressed (if you can).

Agreed his rants about the Brit diver in Thailand are hard to explain and not acceptable, and some other things too, but he isn’t perfect. He does seem close to a burn out with all the things on his plate, with Tesla, Spacex, Nurolink etc. He works crazy long hours and struggles to sleep as he can’t switch his mind off - according to him.

On balance, his positive contributions far outweigh the negative, he’s a major net asset to humankind, which is more than can be said for many.

Hugely impressive bloke. Hope he can hold it all together. Should get off social media probably.

Back