Surviving life.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Backstory; I have a pretty unique job, that I actually enjoy.

But, it's stressful, emotionally and physically. Awkward and unpredictable hours (I'm in the middle of a 3 week stretch, I've had 2 weekends off so far this summer, I normally leave at 6.30 and typically get home about the same, but am on call, so often out again without warning) My holiday earlier this year was cancelled, so I've booked off the first 2 weeks of September, which may also be cancelled. I have no support form above, but a great team of 6 below, they have equal pressures on them, and I try to do everything I can for them.

The problem;

My missus sorted a few things this evening So I could get out for a ride, but I just can't. Exhausted. I realised that I've not ridden since before christmas. every time I've tried, I just can't. This, it has occurred to me on reflection, is not just cycling, but a lot of other areas of my life at the moment, and I don't quite know how to deal with it.

Okay, I fully appreciate this falls into a first world problem, and also FULLY appreciate that others have it far worse. But with no other career options out there (and, as I said, I do enjoy my work), how can I improve the situation?

Any advice/mocking welcome!

Maybe cycle to work?

And there are other career options out there!... i dont know, maybe teach the work you enjoy to others? pass on your knowledge and work normal hours.

Re:

As an N.h.s employee I'm just going to say beware of burn out. When your work is part of who you are & you enjoy it it's very hard to put the brakes on it until it's to late.

Re: Re:

MR OX":2ppe60z7 said:
As an N.h.s employee I'm just going to say beware of burn out. When your work is part of who you are & you enjoy it it's very hard to put the brakes on it until it's to late.

Guess the three letters on my paycheck!

My commute is over 60 miles, so cycling is out.

The main reason I don't want to consider changing jobs is that My wife has just done this (also for life/work balance reasons), so want to retain some stability.

Re:

Like mrox sez. You are stressed without realising it. Stress in an enjoyable job can be positive stress and make you want more. You have crossed the line and are entering burnout/breakdown phase. Put your life/relationship/family first and talk to the Mrs so that you arrive at a jointly-agreed solution.
I've been there, took a big downsize in job and £s, never been so good

It honestly sounds like your work situation would be untenable for pretty much anyone, with out without physical and time-consuming free time activities like bike riding. Even without support from above, is there any way of letting them know about and changing the unreasonable hours you're having to put in? In the end, your life is more important than your job, don't let the latter **** up the former.

If you have no time for life or the time you do have you use to recover so you can go work somemore, then that is not balanced!

I too changed careers due to unbalance, it was hard as i enjoyed my work, but one day i realised i was too tired to do the things i enjoyed in the rest of my life, that included spending time with loved ones and friends, so i stepped back and took on a less taxing job, it gave me my life back, the part which matters the most, and im so glad i did.

I can return to my previous career if i choose, but if i did i would be giving up so much.

Back