Counter Culture Scene

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Anybody else following the inner city Yoof and the fast growing ‘street scene ‘ ? Just saw one got a lucrative sponsorship deal with Nike. I appreciate they ride crazy, jump lights and put themselves and others at risk ( they are mostly too yoing to drive ) but id rather they did this than carry acid and zombie knives.

Wonder how this will evolve. Hope it results in a massive infrastructure spend on segregated cycle lanes in cities, properly joined up towns and a massive expansion of interconected trail networks across all areas in the countryside. Cycling has always had an edge to it but this could make cycling cool amongst the next generation - the future !

Attachments

• E0EA573F-E32A-43B9-920C-72642ADC47A4.jpeg
    E0EA573F-E32A-43B9-920C-72642ADC47A4.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 614
I don't know anything about this. Is it mainly an Instagram thing?

Anyway I think I agree - all bicycles on the road are a good thing. Jumping lights and generally being a bit "vigilante" isn't great (something for the haters to get their teeth into), but it's all exposure to cycling and will hopefully boost the amount of people willing to try it, resulting in a better infrastructure.

Re:

Never seen it online, but riding in the city centres and having fun has always been there, I used to do it when I were young.

There will be no cycling infrastructure, mainly as for most places there is nowhere for it to go.
Places that would make excellent cycle routes tend to get houses built on them or are now owned by multiple people.

The infrastructure needs to be at the housing estate point, but then they don't even make sure houses have to have a place for 4 cars to park, so even the road infrastructure is too little and packed with parked cars on the pavements, roads and verges.

The whole state of mind of packing houses in a small space needs to be removed first before anything else, so there is roads and paths and cycle paths all working, then fit the houses in with enough room for the people and families cars off the road.

Cycle paths need to be both sides of the roads and *all* the way along, not just one side and try and see if bikes can pass each other, it orinf the lamppost that take up bar room etc.

Joe_Rides":17xlxi6y said:
I don't know anything about this. Is it mainly an Instagram thing?

Anyway I think I agree - all bicycles on the road are a good thing. Jumping lights and generally being a bit "vigilante" isn't great (something for the haters to get their teeth into), but it's all exposure to cycling and will hopefully boost the amount of people willing to try it, resulting in a better infrastructure.

No its happening big time in the US, London, Birmingham and a host of other cities - reclaiming the streets, mass rideouts an inner city yoof movement, parkour on bikes. They film themselves riding dangerously through traffic and upload the videos. Yes, its understandably already getting a ton of negative attention but kids will be kids BUT there is a strong anti knife culture in there which can only be a good thing. Major sponsors are starting to throw money at the key protagonists so there will be ‘stars’ in the making, new role models for the yoof apart from gun toting gangstas.

FluffyChicken":17xlxi6y said:
Never seen it online, but riding in the city centres and having fun has always been there, I used to do it when I were young.

Exactly and these guys are so crazy and fearless they will definitely make drivers of all vehicles look out more for cyclists, so indirectly they may even save ‘our’ lives.

There will be no cycling infrastructure, mainly as for most places there is nowhere for it to go.
Places that would make excellent cycle routes tend to get houses built on them or are now owned by multiple people.

Sadly this is true. It needs to change. Recent surveys predict that leccy cars wont need to be parked much on the side of the roads, so more residential accom can be built in its place in future but i would argue a proper network of segregated cycle paths will make life better.

The infrastructure needs to be at the housing estate point, but then they don't even make sure houses have to have a place for 4 cars to park, so even the road infrastructure is too little and packed with parked cars on the pavements, roads and verges.

Post war US/UK car centric planning needs to change to a more enviro impact sustainable solution. Human global pop predicted to hit 9 Billion in 15/20yrs and the UK pop will be closer to 80M by then. We need enlightened forward planning despite the short parliament term focus.

The whole state of mind of packing houses in a small space needs to be removed first before anything else, so there is roads and paths and cycle paths all working, then fit the houses in with enough room for the people and families cars off the road.

Cycle paths need to be both sides of the roads and *all* the way along, not just one side and try and see if bikes can pass each other, it orinf the lamppost that take up bar room etc.

We are all on the same page. Will Govt take notice and divert resources to properly funding it though ? £100M wont cut it.

Google Bikestormz rideouts. It started in response to knife crime, drugs etc The Instagram and YT channels are getting a big and growing following and thus commercial ads too.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp

Which reminds me, i need to get good at manuals again :LOL:

Re:

FluffyChicken":fahzzwvo said:

Problem with this is, if you give people space to park 4 cars, it's hardly encouraging them to buy a bike and cycle! Nevertheless many families DO have 4 cars and yes it's an issue on the smaller roads. Catch 22?

@M-Power - I agree - anything involving cycling is generally more positive than gangs/violence/drugs etc!!!

Nothing new, just getting press, and as most things suddenly thrust into the public limelight you have to question why! They have been pushing for tax on cyclists following alot of negative press of late...

This is not just a bicycle thing either, a lot of press has been focused on exactlly the same thing only on motorbikes and quads.! and now the police have powers to stop motorcyclists without just cause, hmmm....

Re:

Giving the space doesn't mean they have to have four large SUVs to park on it, it just means when they do here is the room*, three are not parked across the pavement blocking it off, because they don't actually make the roads wide enough for people to park on in the first place.

* This could also be used for kicking a ball around on, putting chairs and lapping up the sun.
I also don't mean driveways, I mean actual proper parking slots, otherwise cars get left on the road because moving them around, to get one of the cars off ids far too much hassle.
Also make all the roads a 2 hour parking restrictions and enforcement with bylaws that they have to use their parking if they ahve a car.

Re:

Oh and we just didn't have mobile phones to film our antics, so nobody new we where cool. Though we didn't jump red light 'for fun', we did slipstream busses though, it warm behind them, they go pretty fast and with your wheel a few cm from the rear end 40mph was easy being towed along, it didn't seem dangerous at all.
Not all the bus drivers liked it though ;-)
Oh if only cheap portable easy methods of social film distribution where available back then. Sadly not.

Just memories now.

mkone":trv1z4u5 said:
Nothing new, just getting press, and as most things suddenly thrust into the public limelight you have to question why! They have been pushing for tax on cyclists following alot of negative press of late...

This is not just a bicycle thing either, a lot of press has been focused on exactlly the same thing only on motorbikes and quads.! and now the police have powers to stop motorcyclists without just cause, hmmm....

I take your point. As long as its scooter riders carrying weapons and acid im all for it. Too many skunked up drivers on the road these days too.

FluffyChicken":trv1z4u5 said:
Oh and we just didn't have mobile phones to film our antics, so nobody new we where cool. Though we didn't jump red light 'for fun', we did slipstream busses though, it warm behind them, they go pretty fast and with your wheel a few cm from the rear end 40mph was easy being towed along, it didn't seem dangerous at all.
Not all the bus drivers liked it though ;-)
Oh if only cheap portable easy methods of social film distribution where available back then. Sadly not.

Just memories now.

Very true. I shudder to think of some of the antics we got upto bitd :LOL: When your number is up, its up. Noticed lots of secondary school boys of late all working on their manuals, rocking coloured spokes and custom style rides. I have always been into appreciation of alternative cycling trends.

The only counter culture I follow........

Attachments

• croft.jpg
    croft.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 508
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 508
  • rv.jpg
    rv.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 508
Back