Can anyone do sheet metal work?

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm looking to make something like this:

D57374B8-3F3F-4612-8F435497C52A65B3-zoom.jpg

https://www.cyclewerks.co.nz/product/bo ... le-adaptor

I can get hold of a small sheet of stainless steel, cut it out and drill all the relevant holes, what I'm not so sure about is being able to fold the sides, not neatly anyway.

Also, how thick do you think I'd need to have the sheet steel so that it's rigid enough not to flop about with a couple of water bottles attached. I was thinking 1.2mmm would that be enough?

I'm not worried about having the holes threaded like the example, I'll just use a nut at the back.

Make a former out of wood. Use middle holes to secure plate centrally then bash the living shite out of it. Simples.

Or a decent vice on each side in turn bending inward.

xerxes":1urwl84f said:
I can get hold of a small sheet of stainless steel, cut it out and drill all the relevant holes, what I'm not so sure about is being able to fold the sides, not neatly anyway.
What you need is called a "sheet metal brake", and it's dead easy to make, speshly for small work like that. Here's a no-weld instructable, there are loads of other designs out there.

Can't help on the thickness, you'll prolly have to do a bit of "suck it and see". 1.2 sounds like a decent starting point, though.

Re:

What you need is called a "sheet metal brake", and it's dead easy to make

That's the doohickey I was thinking of, there was a big one in the workshop at college. In this instance though, it will take longer to make the tool than the thing I actually want to make. :p

I make a toolbox with one when I was 16. And a bit of welding. It’s in the shed. :D

Back