aaaggghhh what do you do?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have been given responsibily of getting a bike for my niece for her birthday, She is 12 years old , 5ft 2" and 29" inside leg ( same as mine!?!? :shock: ) , Now what do you do?

Her views

Something that looks cool ( her current steed is a laughing stock) :cry:
Must have full suspention
2nd hand no probs for better value ( proper girl ;) )
and shows interest of going out with her uncle on it rather than just down tescos with mates.

My views

Low budget ( 150 max )
cannot shift to hard tail
Would rather gouge my eye balls out than buy a apollo xt17900 from Halfords :cry:

What do I do?? Think positive that with some hard work and looking could pick up something that will convert her to a great hobby or just admit it that she is 12 years old and will be trashed within 3 months so just go and buy the dreaded cheapie??

lol - you are doomed. Buy her the heap of cr*p and she won't ride it after a week because it is heavy and crap. Buy her something good (Isla bike?) without her buy-in and she won't ride it out of principle. Have to coerce her into wanting something good - why not speak to her about resale once she has grown out of it???

Good luck

that's a really tough one, Can you borrow a cheap full susser to let her compare the 2? £150 won't buy you a decent full sus bike of any age.

Show her some of the freecaster northshore videos and other hardtail cool stuff, she might be convinced.

You are starting to see good end of summer deals coming in and if you look at Halfords Carrera bikes they are good value for money - as are lower end Felt bikes. But I don't know if they will be cheap enough.

5'2"...hmmm.....

Is she growing quickly?

I'm thinking you may get lucky with a 16" RTS 2 or 3 on Ebay :?

ask her why it must have full suspension and then tell her it'll weigh a ton... see if she'll change her mind. Islabike would be a good place, else get something off here :D

orange71":29ypppng said:
ask her why it must have full suspension and then tell her it'll weigh a ton... see if she'll change her mind. Islabike would be a good place, else get something off here :D

I concur. Can't say enough good things about Islabikes.

Those Islabikes look great...any idea how much they are...need to get my nearly 6yo off her horrible pink piece of cr*p. :roll:

Hmmm the full suspension is all about "the in thing" ?? I know its rubbish but I guess thats why her bike is a laughing stock now .... You know what kids are like :roll: Its a no winner really as if I manage to get hold of something nice a RTS for example Id be too worried about it getting ruined!! ;)

I am really interested in Gibblekings barracuda if anyone is visiting Norfolk and coming back to the midlands?? :shock:

daj":2mvya13r said:
I am really interested in Gibblekings barracuda if anyone is visiting Norfolk and coming back to the midlands?? :shock:

I may, cant promise, but may be able to do something as my parents live in Norfolk and I live in Lincoln.....

Harryburgundy":3dy671os said:
Those Islabikes look great...any idea how much they are...need to get my nearly 6yo off her horrible pink piece of cr*p. :roll:

I have recently got my five year old (well, one of 'em) a Benin 20. The 20 refers to the wheel size. He went from tottering around and falling off within 30 metres of so to going the whole length of the park without any further practice.
For a kiddies bike they are light and all the components are right for a kid too! The one I got cost £170 ish but that was with a tyre upgrade. Its just things like not having to carry a spanner in case he gets a puncture as the (proper alloy) wheels are QR that makes a difference. Drop her an email, she is very helpful!

Attachments

• IB#1.jpg
    IB#1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,458
Back