Anyone gone electric or hybrid?

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently got a 2013 Honda hybrid and am extremely impressed with it.Getting close to 70mpg and rock bottom motor tax.Anyone else gone electric or hybrid?

Picked up a 2014 Toyota Auris Hybrid yesterday.
Haven't had any chance to test it properly yet, but so far I'm happy :)

Had a go with a Tesla Model X, amazing kit. It will be a while before I will take the plunge with full electric though. Current mainstream offerings are still woeful in the real world. Eventually I'd rather go all electric if I can . You still have to put fuel in a hybrid no matter how little they use.

Re:

A friend has a Renault Zoe which is fully electric, when he gave me a lift I didn't realise until he told me. It looks like an ordinary car, doesn't really sound that different, because most cars are pretty quiet inside these days, but you still get road noise. It did accelerate quickly though, it really took off when he put his foot down.

However, we're not going to save the planet by building 2,000kg electric cars that we replace every 5 to 10 years. :roll:

legrandefromage":z9uhp598 said:
Current mainstream offerings are still woeful in the real world.
Seriously, in what way are they woeful? Performance is in line with fuel cars, range is massive (compared to what people *actually* drive, as opposed to what they think they do.) Battery life is improving (almost) daily with software updates and changing charge/discharge strategies. Cold performance is pretty much dialled now, now we have predictive pre-conditioning on charge power............

TBH, the only thing that puts me off is that i'm a massive outlier in daily driving distance , can't remember exact figures, but for the data we have i'm in the top 0,3 or 0,4% for daily commuting distance for every car we have data for (2 million, ish).

Next car will be either 48V light hybrid or 400V full hybrid.

legrandefromage":14xpj6ip said:
76 miles from a Nissan Leaf is not acceptable
Yup.It was the main factor why I crossed it off my list straight away.Im not far from a charging point but its still not practical.I had a test in one and they are a good drive,ticked all the boxes bar the surprisingly poor range.If the range was doubled I would get one straight away.

Re:

But for the majority of city dwellers or people near one that is perfect.
Pop to shops, drop kids off etc.
Few go further than that.

It wouldn't get me to IKEA and back (they have charge points, but until there is instant/charge in an hour, that's not going to work).

But I don't do that very often.

But then we live in a world where people drive SUVs and then get SUVs to be as big and high as the next SUV. And then wonder why the side roads can't take the parking of these SUVs.

When a compact mini would be better for them.

Anyways,I clicked this link thinking it was Hybrids (700c, flat bar) and e-bikes, hahaha.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2c2fclwy said:
But for the majority of city dwellers or people near one that is perfect.
Pop to shops, drop kids off etc.
Few go further than that.

It wouldn't get me to IKEA and back (they have charge points, but until there is instant/charge in an hour, that's not going to work).

But I don't do that very often.

But then we live in a world where people drive SUVs and then get SUVs to be as big and high as the next SUV. And then wonder why the side roads can't take the parking of these SUVs.

When a compact mini would be better for them.
Did you get a Leaf?How do you find it regarding general wear and tear and maintenance?Agreed on the suv phenomenon,my local school run is festooned with the blasted things.

Anyways,I clicked this link thinking it was Hybrids (700c, flat bar) and e-bikes, hahaha.

Back