Explain Global Warming to me.

Duxuk

Retro Guru
Global Warming is caused by CO2. The current level of CO2 means that certain wavelengths of infrared radiation emitted from the earths surface are absorbed and scattered in all directions when re emitted at wavelengths which are not reabsorbed. Some of this infrared heat therefore returns to the earth warming it up, instead of being emitted to space.
That's what the experts tell us.
CO2 is a trace gas constituting only around 400 parts per million yet it is at a sufficient level to absorb ALL IR radiation at the given wavelengths within 25 meters of the ground. If we halve the CO2 level it will still all be absorbed within 50 meters. So how can a reduction in CO2 ever prevent this "cause" of GW? If we reduce the CO2 to a thousandth of the current level then the atmosphere will still be opaque at the same wavelengths so reducing CO2 can never achieve anything.
Explain. Be the first to fathom this. Disprove the cyclical warming we are experiencing before the next ice age.

Re:

There are many better explanations on the internet than anyone on a cycling forum will write. It strikes me that you're just spoiling for a fight here.

You've forgotten to take into account methane.

Then theres cloud cover

Ice reflectivity

Algal Blooms

particulates

and cheese

never turn your back on cheese.

:LOL: thats just reminded me, i watched Wallace and Gromit the other day with my daughter, who seems to think the moon isnt made of cheese, and in fact they were eating rocks, albiet moon rock :)

mkone":38ibd1jp said:
:LOL: thats just reminded me, i watched Wallace and Gromit the other day with my daughter, who seems to think the moon isnt made of cheese, and in fact they were eating rocks, albiet moon rock :)

Its clearly cheese

lunar-cheese.jpg

Re: Re:

cce":6xe8wf0j said:
There are many better explanations on the internet than anyone on a cycling forum will write. It strikes me that you're just spoiling for a fight here.

second that.

Re: G.W.

Trialsmeister":3tc11jyy said:
Red sky at night,
Shepherds delight.

Sheep drowned in morning...
Global warming?

Is a shepherds delight a pie?

If they look over the fence into the next farm are they a shepherd spy?

As for the global warming question, go sell crazy/start a fight some place else lady, we're all stocked up here.

Re:

Well.. I'll take the thread title and original post at face value:

As far as I am aware, the source of infra red radiation which needs considering is the sun, not the earth. Concentrating on "certain wavelengths of infrared radiation emitted from the earths surface" while forgetting about that monstrous furnace in the sky is analogous to standing next to the Slazenger factory and claiming that tennis racquets 'emit' tennis balls.

They were named 'greenhouse gases' for a reason. A greenhouse is transparently :| not opaque to solar radiation.
It is (under daytime conditions) more opaque in one direction (outwards) than in the other.

Back