RTS with SLX

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
I've been looking at this new SLX stuff from Shimano and it is rather nice indeed. Now i've been meaning to put my Hei Hei on V's as the Maguras are a bit OTT for the build. So, ive had an idea for my black RTS Team to make it a bit of a play bike:

RTS Team Frame
Judy DH's
Risers and short stem
Shimano SLX groupset (cranks, mech, shifters, cassette and chain)
XT/Mavic Wheels
Magura HS33's

I've priced up the SLX and between Merlin and CRC i can get the lot for £177, which i think is a great price :)

Is it a bit pointless giving such an old FS frame and forks these parts, or will it be a hoot to ride? :?

i love my slx chainset i got on my trailstar it rocks as its so stiff zero flex loverly it cant be beat mechs and shifters are great really work well set up a bike for a customer saturday works great :cool: :cool: :cool: could be just the way i set it up :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Are you sure you wanna go down this route????

That is a beautiful frame, just seems such a shame to have it as a 'play' bike :(

SLX does look sweet, might tempt me away from Sram... Can't decide, the idea of RTS 'play bike' sounds cool but on the other hand I kinda agree with what Pickle said... I dunno, just give it a go and see if you like it I guess :)

Tallpaul":w7lqtx5a said:
Is it a bit pointless giving such an old FS frame and forks these parts, or will it be a hoot to ride? :?

Probably depends what you do on your 'play' bike? For riding to the pub and pulling a few wheelies, it's overkill and some old LX/XT would be fine. If you intend to thrash it, I'd remind you its a 15 yo alloy frame ;)

But it is your bike and your choice :)

MadCowKev":1szhy87a said:
Probably depends what you do on your 'play' bike? For riding to the pub and pulling a few wheelies, it's overkill and some old LX/XT would be fine.

Probably somewhere in the middle! But yes, i'm aware of it's age and material ;)

I'll say that part of this comes from the expense of making 'old' bikes rideable. My Hei Hei for example has a fairly retro drivetrain, but i reckon it cost more to buy than the SLX parts and would be harder to find replacements for (albeit mid-90's XT ain't exactly rare). But, the Hei Hei will only ever do a dozen or so rides a year and probably never see any real filth.

My '92 Lava Dome now has full M900 XTR and never gets ridden :roll:

This leaves me currently without a bike (sort of). I'm sooooo tempted to blow all my Christmas bonus on an Orange Five Pro, but I don't get all of my bonus until February.

I think unless i pick up some cheap LX/XT mechs and cranks in the next few days i'll be ordering the SLX stuff :twisted:

strikes me SLX might become a bit of a future classic. It looks better than a lot of recent shimano stuff.

Back