Coast to Coast attempt in a day

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ever since I started going to the north east where my wife's family are I've fancied doing to the coast to coast ride (they live literally backing onto part of the route near Consett). This summer I want to do it, and to challenge myself to achieve something I'd feel proud of I'd like to give it a bash in a day - I guess something like 7am to 9pm. It will probably on my own, though I have a brother-in-law who might tag along.I'd love to hear any good advice on the route/planning/training etc from anyone who's done the route or day-long rides of this kind of length (probably going to be around 125-130 miles).

I'm late 30's, reasonably fit. I mostly ride on the road nowadays and while I don't get out so much having a young family, when I do I tend to do 30-35 miles inside a couple of hours. Again, as the years have passed I've started to run more than I ride (takes less time, I can do it in the dark when the kids are in bed) and I run 5K in about 21mins, 10K in about 45. So I'm quite active but have almost no experience near the C2C distance. Over Christmas I decided I wanted the challenge of riding solo to my parents' house, 90 miles away. I managed it, and learned a lot in the process. Mostly about needing to fuel properly over that length of activity. Also about not choosing a day with a stiff westerly breeze to ride 90 miles due west :roll: The mental side of needing to self-motivate was also something I hadn't considered either until I was 50 miles in and struggling!

Gear-wise, I'll either take the modern road bike (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=317602&start=10) modified with a big cassette, or if possible the '94 Dyna Tech Diablo set up for the road (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=292714&start=30). Garmin Edge 1000 should take care of the navigation (it did a great job on the 90-mile ride at Christmas) and I've mapped a provisional gpx out on Strava, largely following the C2C route but with some adjustments here and there avoiding anything too rough. The kit will go in a rucksack. I'll only do it if the weather's favourable and there's a clear day while I'm up there over the summer.

Any advice? Cheers! :cool:

Edit - it happened, the report is here if you want to skip to it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=381405&p=2849031#p2849031

Re: Coast to Coast - in a day. Advice?

I've done some road rides in this range and also some offroad rides in the range of 100mi. as day rides (both singlespeed). If you're reasonable fit, and it seems so from what you're writing, you dont need extra training. Dont go to fast, take it to a lower gear and higher cadence; your knees will thank you for that and its not that exhausting, vice versa you will revover quicker.

Water and foot (such as nuts and fruits, maybe some bars) will help you over the day - I usually try to avoid longer breaks and a heavy lunch - just refill fresh water and unfill the used one ;)

The most important think is a really good saddle and a comfy position (I would suggest the DynaTech because of the higher bars); being in a road race position with rucksack will kill your neck and shoulders...

Good luck!
marco

Train hard. 150 miles in a day is massive, probably 12 hours in the saddle.
Did the way of the roses in 2014 in 3 days and although it's longer and we topped 185 miles (detours to B&B's) I don't think I could do 150 in a day. We trained hard for it but 150 in a day is a special commitment.
There is an organised event for it though so it is doable http://www.opencycling.com/coast-to-coast-in-a-day/
I think you'll need to do 50 milers every weekend between then and now, plus 20 miles a couple of times a week.
For doing it in as day a roadbike is needed, the 90's MTB is not fast enough and even on slick too energy sapping. it does make a good tourer to do it over a couple of days though. I used my 1990 MF Prestige for the way of the roses with city jets fitted, but it topped out too easily and drops made the faster bits more consistently fast.

Carl.

I wouldn't take a rucksack if you getting picked up at the other end or dropped off for the start, spare tube puncture repair kit multi tool in a saddle bag you can get a change of clothes and some wet gear in there too plenty of room and less of a drag.

A group of us did this about 5 years ago. 13 hours riding, '91 cinder cone on 1.5 slicks. Very lucky with the weather and had a service van to meet up with every 30 miles or so. Training comprised lengthy rides in The Peaks, longest about 75 miles road miles.
Without doubt one of the most satisfying rides I have ever done.
Got up early the next day just to have a three hour breakfast before driving back down.

Thanks for the input so far - much appreciated! The 90-mile ride over Christmas is my reference point at the moment. For that I used the road bike and a rucksack. The bike was comfortable enough throughout the day (8am-4:30pm), the rucksack not too bad but probably not ideal so I guess a larger saddle bag might be worth it, thanks for the link. And I won't be taking a D-lock this time...

Training-wise it's the legs that will need the work. I hardly noticed my lungs on the long ride but a combination of very few autumn/winter miles plus not refuelling properly left me struggling with heavy, aching calves in particular. The kind of riding I'm most naturally suited to is darting up short to medium hills and have never worked on anything that requires real endurance. It'll be August, so I've still got some time to work on this (I was out on Zwift only today...) Nice to get a realistic idea of what I'll need to be aiming for training-wise.

Re:

I’m planning on doing this myself, from morecombe to Scarborough. Similar to yourself, early fourties though, with a self assessed reasonable level of fitness. :)

Going to be doing it on a modern road bike, early to mid June I reckon but not done any specific training as yet.

Will let you know how/if I get on!

Back