Taking bikes to center parcs and theft

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Off on a family trip to center parcs over Easter and planning to take our own bikes for a change.

I've invested in some Thule roof mount racks, just need to fit them.

Since booking, we've been advised that theft is rife, not just bikes but even racks are being stolen from cars.

Should I let the thieves deter me from taking my bikes? What security precautions can I take over and above using good locks?

Having a collection of nice bikes, should I throw together a beater for the trip or still take a nice one?

The news has dampened my enthusiasm taking a nice bike to scoot around on.

i wouldn't go. Sounds like a right hole to stay at. if thats what the customers are like.

Re:

Woburn forest. Not been to that one before, spent the last 6 years going to the longleat one, just changing it up this year. I don't recall similar warnings in the brochures for longleat.

It's not the customers, it's organised bike crime. Thousands of bikes in one place, a smorgasbord of a bike thieves shopping list.

I couldn't cobble together a broom, the best I could do is a coyote extralite in full xt, or an s-works full Susser in modernish xt/r if I had to raid the parts bin. Last time I did that I ended up with a full xt/spin wheeled STS (become a bike snob over the years on here, can't seem to do lower than xt).

They do have bikes there, having just spent hundreds on Thule racks, kind of want to use them. And a hire bike? See bike snob comment above. I may have to go down that route, but seems bonkers to pay for a bike for a week when I have some of my own?

Re:

Just keep your bike inside or we’ll locked if out and about. We go to Whinfell and have never had or heard of any issues. Left my Thule rack on the car and took my brand new p7 last time.

Re:

I've only seen one missing bike in the years I've been going, so maybe I should just make sure the bikes taken are listed on the insurance and enjoy.

How many are you taking? I have a couple of abus motorcycle chains that can secure a row if used imaginatively. Maybe something similar?

Never been to a centreparcs, but based on that info, i wouldn't be taking anything with XT on it (no matter how old the XT). I'd be taking a £50 pub or station bike, or one of their hire bikes, I doubt many other people will be able to tell the difference. :roll:

If you are going to take something of you're own, can you keep them inside your "cabin/lodge/whatever" when not in use? We did that when we went on a Forest Holidays week away some years ago (only two of us and only two bikes in a two person cabin), though you didn't need the bikes to get around the site, and there was no suggestion of a security issue...

Re: Re:

ishaw":26lpfwll said:
Woburn forest. Not been to that one before, spent the last 6 years going to the longleat one, just changing it up this year. I don't recall similar warnings in the brochures for longleat.

Ah, dont know that one. If it had been Sherwood forest one i could have maybe helped.

The one in Sherwood forest has a massive perimeter and despite numerous attempts to make it secure bikes have been, and still are, taken on a very regular basis.

Up there it is the locals not the holiday makers. You only need to check some of the prices to realise the people that go dont need to steal :LOL:

And dont think they wont take a lesser bike. It is their living and if times are hard anything will do, a nice bike is more of a bonus than the main target.

Latest posts

Back