Alternative to photobucket?

generallee

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,
After struggling away with posting a for sale ad yesterday, I’ve realised photobucket now drmands payment to 3 rd party host photos on sites like retrobike, so time for a change.
What other (free) sites to retrobikers use to post pics? I haven’t tried the retrobike gallery way to use my pics, perhhaps that’s the easiest answer?
Cheers,
Steve

The easiest least faffing way is to download http://www.irfanview.com/

Resize the pics to 1200, name them and save them to the RB site. That way they are there for all to see and will be on the RB server for as long as it exists.

That way in the future you can link your own pics from this site to others without fuss.

Until RB gets an upgrade to its software, thats the most safe way of 'storing' your images.

but if imagepost disappears the same photobucket issues happen again, all the pictures disappear making past threads useless. Dont forget that RB is pretty much the only repository for pictures of knackered old bicycles.

Re:

The gallery on here wont be useful to you, unless things have changed, you have a very small limit as to how much you can upload. But then it isnt for selling parts on the forum. I would just upload pictures of your bikes, like lgf said, they will be safe there

There is already quite a long thread on this topic, it might be useful for you to read that and see what others are saying on this subject.... Theres not really anything else out there to replace photobucket, but a lot of people are ising imgur. I'm not a fan myself, It fancies itself as a comedy social media site for memes and sh*t, but at this time offers 3rd party hosting. Flickr used to be quite popular, but they seem to have moved down the social route of making it more like a cross between twitter and instagram than a photo hosting site. And they’ve removed the option to share pictures 3rd party which renders it useless. I would upload images as attachments here until a new and useful image hosting site appears.

But yes, photobucket is crap, and its been getting progressively worse over the years. I would not pay the blackmail costs of £300 per year or whatever it is just to save my photos. It had become so slow, bugged and riddled with ads that you could hardly use it anymore

Re:

Legrandefromage and Sean, thanks for your replies. I think i’ll just keep my two phptobucket accounts open as a place where my old photos are stored, and try other ways to upload. For a quick fix for my For Sale post that’s up now and lacking in pics... !
Sean, how do I add images as an attachment?
I’ll try postimage just to fix my for sale ad probably for now...

Re:

I just use my stinky old laptop. As I view the image I open paint on windows. Resize the image by say, 40% and save.

Then, it's small enough to embed and resolution is acceptable. Input is only 4 at a time but, that's enough generally.

As LGf mentions, first photo bucket next, the rest, others? To shaft us and destroy interesting read. Hosting sites seems to invite all sorts of bugs and slows down processing. My experience though.

How do you save to the RB site? Do I need to contact an administrator to permit me to do this? I can't find a way of doing it at the moment.

Edit: Think I've worked it out now sorry!!!

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":1s5yzsgt said:
And they’ve removed the option to share pictures 3rd party which renders it useless.

If you can see my Manitou photo below, then that is not an accurate statement.

35259650053_9f5b9e6b4f_b.jpg

Back