Tasty Vegetarian and Vegan recipies

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
As a total newb to the Veggie diet :oops: Im just stir frying using EVOO, loads of veg and mushrooms with wild rice every evening. Its tasty but what other recipies and tips can you share please :? Looking for low calorie ideas and nothing too fancy to prepare.

Re:

A simple fairly quick recipe I've been using for years, I have it on it's own served with rice or spaghetti. It's surprisingly tasty, make sure you use good stock though.

Attachments

• DSC00354.jpg
    DSC00354.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 799
There are no hard and fast rules, just delete the meat in any 'recipe' or just sling together ingredients that you know will go together well.

My curries have big thick mushrooms or chickpeas or just chunky veg

Pasta dishes have lots of olives, courgettes, whatever doesnt happen to be trying to escape the fridge.

I also do lots of fish and seafood rice dishes with chillies and ginger

All good stuff

Unless you're vegan

But that would be madness.

legrandefromage":bcf35kcr said:
There are no hard and fast rules, just delete the meat in any 'recipe' or just sling together ingredients that you know will go together well.

My curries have big thick mushrooms or chickpeas or just chunky veg

Pasta dishes have lots of olives, courgettes, whatever doesnt happen to be trying to escape the fridge.

I also do lots of fish and seafood rice dishes with chillies and ginger

All good stuff

Unless you're vegan

But that would be madness.

Fantastic guys :mrgreen: I will try that lentil pasta Johnboy, minus the salt in my case. The flavours should compensate.

Agreed LGF, I am not quite ready to go full veggie but love fish. I have developed a taste for Wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon. Prolly radioactive now thanks to Fukushima but its clear of the toxic chemicals used in farmed fish and better for the environment. Salmon is good and its cheaper than buying so many weekly takaways like I had a habit of doing. Love olives and chickpeas, so i will add those to my ingredient list and experiement with ‘big veg’ curries. I need a big mouthful of food with my appetite. Never made a curry before. Ginger is on the list as its good stuff.

Mattr. Good tip re Indian cook books. Love Indian food so I will look into that.

Renaldo. Great tip. Snapped it up ;)

Re:

As others have said, there are lots of good veggie recipes online.

If you like Italian food, try Gino D'Acampo's Veg Italia for lots of good dishes. Or vegetarian pasta bake is dead simple: I do it with aubergine, butternut squash, mozzarella, a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, Aleppo pepper and ample 'Italian herbs', 50:50 pasta and a cheddar topping. Just pre-cook everything, frying the squash first, because it takes longest; shove the lot in a baking dish, grate cheddar on top, and bake for 20-25 minutes until it starts to brown on top. Alter the veg to suit your taste.

A good, quick, light meal is halloumi kebabs. Chop up lettuce (iceberg works best), tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions. You could add spinach, watercress, etc. if you wanted. Slice halloumi and fry without oil until it starts to brown (you don't need oil: it releases a lot of moisture as it heats). At the same time, heat pitta bread under the grill till it's warm and perhaps beginning to puff up, but not till it starts to go hard. When the pitta and halloumi are done, slice one side of the pitta, liberally spread houmus inside, put in a layer of sliced halloumi, stuff as much salad in as you can and eat. It's more of a summer dish than a winter dish though.

Re: Re:

Harryburgundy":2g04h1te said:
I you haven’t tried Freekah yet I would recommend it.
This salad is awesome
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/freekeh_salad_48068

Spiced couscous is a lovely base for lots of dishes- plenty of recipes to hand if you want any

Lots of good recipes here
https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/ ... main-meals

And most supermarkets have online veggie recipes
http://www.co-operativefood.co.uk/recipes/

Brilliant :mrgreen: These are right up my street, so tasty looking.

Back