How the road bike cycle industry works

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Cycle industry accountants: "we're not making enough money - you engineers need to re-invent the wheel" Bicycle engineers: "we cant do that, its been done, its too successful" Cycle industry accountants: "well you need to do something??" Bicycle engineers: "ok, how about electric motors on everything - gears/ shifting, propulsion" Cycle industry accountants: "brilliant - nothing can be cross compatible, make it so you cant mix brands either, we dont want SRAM/ Campagnolo/ Shimano mixing it up anymore" Bicycle engineers: "ok, we've done that already, plenty of rival 'standards', we already bring new ones out every other month just in case". Bicycle industry accountants: " perfect, but we still need that something that will get everyone to change their existing bikes, something with 'technology' as a strap word - we tried carbon fibre everything but theres still some buggering about on steel and aluminium and dont mention that titanium lot" Bicycle engineers: " titanium?" Bicycle industry accountants:" I told you not to mention that! We something else, something that makes 6 month old bicycles completely incompatible" Bicycle engineers: " How about disc brakes? You cant fit them very well to old frames, if we make them hydraulic and different fluid types, you really then cant mix and match brands, riders will be totally enslaved to single brands" Cycle industry accountants: " oh thats good, get the UCI on the phone, tell them we them legal one year, then get them to ban them the next, just to make sure we get a good turn over of bicycles" Bicycle engineers: "we're already on it". Bicycle accountants: " one last thing, I've heard something mentioned about 'chain pitch - what can you lot do about that??"....

That's funny, and no doubt a bit of truth in it, but on the other hands modern bikes are bloody great and bought well, incredible vfm

Re:

Post Brexit are we going to have to go back to 27" x 1" wheels too :shock: :LOL: You also forgot to mention the approximately 1 billion different seatpost sizes and there are still plenty of sizes left between 26.0 and 31.8 for handlebars ;) .

if you keep it light you don't need such heavy duty brakes to stop.

How do you keep 'me' light?.

(Sitting with large box of Thorntons limited edition Christmas selection chocolates, large coffee, shortly to be followed by copious amounts of LBV Port.)

The History Man":dx8lbwi5 said:

(Sitting with large box of Thorntons limited edition Christmas selection chocolates, large coffee, shortly to be followed by copious amounts of LBV Port.)

:shock: i think i'm going to be sick :LOL:

tintin40":2hscjzf8 said:
The History Man":2hscjzf8 said:

:shock: i think i'm going to be sick :LOL:
I can help..........

Back