The power of wooden tool boxes

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have found myself making a number of tool boxes, in part to resolve issues in un/loading my carpentry tools in the van/work but also finding it a positive evening activity in my workshop.

I have a toolbox my father made years ago and recently started to use it especially after his diagnosis of cancer, kinda just need something handmade by him in his able years ( he built boats) close by.
I now have different sized carpenter tote boxes , and finding the process of making them comforting.

Tonight I made up the coffee break box, inside it will hold my stove ( a Svea 123 bought by my dad from Edgingtons 1958 before he went to the Alps) and espresso pot, couple of mugs, a coffee tin, milk can, lighter ,biscuit tin and best of its strong enough to sit on.

We aren't sure dad will make it through this health hurdle and to be honest it knocked me for six, he and I have been through a lot together, I've already buried one friend this year who died right at the start and my close friend William has sarcoma cancer which isn't responding to any treatment.
Dad and I have always joked that there's enough plywood kicking around to knock up a box for him... Oh well fingers crossed at least he's not losing his marbles sat in a care home and seems to have found determination in getting it sorted.

Re:

I wish your father the very best of health mate.

I also have some wooden boxes, three to be precise, from when I was a french polisher, sometimes going to do site work. One has some polishing bits and bobs, the others hold tools. Still going strong, and all make good seats, too!

Mike

Sorry to hear about your dads health, your tale reminds me of a toolbox special to me.

My late father was a fabricator welder and he made his own steel toolbox which he kept his hand tools in some of which were my grandfathers. Still use the toolbox and tools to this day but not as much as I used to. Every time I grab something from it it brings back memories of watching dad work, passing him tools and learning his trade.

I'd love to post pics but I'm 100% iPhone at the mo and can't seem to be able to upload any courtesy of the terrible bandwidth we have here, I'll figure something out

Re: Re:

RadNomad":fwl45au4 said:
Regardless the melancholy tinge, this is the best post i’ve read here in a long while.
Best wishes to you Joe.

I ecco these sentiments. I use tool boxes and a shoe shine box my late father made as a kid. I always kinda feel hes beside me when i use such things.

Re:

Wish I had my dad's wooden tool chest. I've got a few tools from it and his garage and they still retain the smells from all those years back.

How wonderfully personal and special.

Sending my thoughts and best wishes to you, your dear father and family.

Back