Camera / Photography advice

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So, I'm looking for a camera and possibly light set up to take pictures for a website, the subjects are generally quite small and immobile and ideally I'd like the set up to be as physically compact as possible - I don't have much storage room! I'm also on a budget so happy to buy second hand, I guess I need a DSLR and a short range (and/or macro?) lens, I have a tripod already. My 'studio' has a decent amount of natural light but I won't always be able to/want to shoot in the day.

Need more info, this seems vague?

Thanks!

Oh, and I don't have a great deal of experience/technical knowledge so something simple that requires minimal fiddling with complicated parameters suits me best :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
How big are the items? Do you need a background? Lots of variables. Off camera flash? It’s fairly simple to set up a static platform/lighting rig. And not expensive.

Just sold off all my dslr kit..........

Re:

It’s for an e-commerce site, stuff ranges in size from pretty small to about a metre square. I’ll build something as a background for the smaller stuff, and think of something else for the bigger stuff.

Google background roll. For the small stuff you can get away with a roll of wallpaper over the seat and back of a dining chair.

Camera wise anything with a hot shoe will fire a second flash for better results.

I ended up with an Olympus e-pl6 with a little fl-lm 1 flash on the camera that will trigger my Metz 26 af 2 as a fill in or bounce (off the ceiling or a reflective surface - sheet of a3 paper etc) and get a cable release.

A short zoom with fairly close focus will be adequate. You can crop on pc.

That should be sufficient with a bit of practice.

Bit like this. https://www.photography-backgrounds.co. ... drops.html

For big bangs per buck a Nikon D70 (around £50-70) body with the Nikon 18-55 lens (£50-60) will give you a superb setup. Try The Photographer's Bag shop on eBay or MPB Photographic. I have used both for secondhand equipment and they are very good.

Canon are also just as good, it's simply that I'm not familiar with their kit.

highlandsflyer":w7vy1eqf said:
Smartphones do really well at close focus, so I would invest in a decent one before silly small DSLR mimics.

hate smartphones/mobiles.

Back