The BBC.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Preamble;

I don't care about the BBC. Yes, I pay my licence fee, but I don't watch BBC programming, or at least, it's a rare event. I don't resent paying it, it just 'is'. I listen to their radio and podcasts, so... Meh.

Content;

I saw a trailer for a BBC show called 'The Detectorists'. I liked the trailer, as did my wife, so went to hit series record on the old telly box. imagine my surprise when I saw 'The Detectorists; season 3' pop up. "yay!" I declare, that means I already have two complete seasons to binge watch! Had a read, it seems to be a bit of an underground* hit, and quite popular.

No.

it's not on I player. Nor Netflix (Although it does appear to be on the US version?!). Wait... AMAZON HAS IT! Waaaiiit... nope, I'll have to pay £7 a season for that...

Recap;

The BBC are showing a new season of a show, and unless I pay for it, I am unable to catch up on the previous 2 seasons. The BBC. Licence fee. Current series.

Rant(ish);

In a time when even the government website seems to be working, paying for steaming services, all other channels enable catch up etc. etc. I have to pay to watch a current series...? They even showed season 1 in July. Moreover, the BBC sell the rights to the few good dramas (I'm looking at you, Ripper Street) claiming there was no demand, only for the buyer to make a killing from them.

I WANNA WATCH THE TV CONTENT I'VE PAYED FOR!!! FFS.

Screw you BBC. Tease me, then steal my socks.

I'm gonna watch Stranger Things.

*Me so funny.

Re:

Apparently there are plans afoot to develop the iplayer from its current catch-up type plyer into more of a netflix level streaming service

I can imagine its not quite as simple as just loading more stuff on tho

I hate the BBC it should be privatised. Big Brother Corp. Bring it in to the present from the 1950's that it is in

legrandefromage":fzr8b124 said:

but iplayer is much nicer to actually use. I often find myself wishing the BBC had been able to licence iplayer to the other channels. I'll actually pirate stuff rather than use ITV player.

i'm quite fond of the old beeb generally. Don't watch that much TV, but the breakfast show is far superior to the ITV offering, and their wildlife and science programs (the latter mostly confined to BBC 4 these days) are world class. Quality educational programming is the first thing that gets cut in a commercial environment.

Re:

I try to avoid watching TV every night but my opinion is that the license fee is worth it just for BBC4.

When flicking through all the freeview channels of an evening it's mostly just diabolical, pointless garbage with adverts every 10 minutes.

^^^^ sounded a bit like Trainspotting that didn't it! (Mind numbing, spirit crushing game-shows....)

My_Teenage_Self":37ingq1v said:
Preamble;

I don't care about the BBC. Yes, I pay my licence fee, but I don't watch BBC programming, or at least, it's a rare event.

I WANNA WATCH THE TV CONTENT I'VE PAYED FOR!!!

Does not compute.

al-onestare":16rozj0s said:
My_Teenage_Self":16rozj0s said:
Preamble;

I don't care about the BBC. Yes, I pay my licence fee, but I don't watch BBC programming, or at least, it's a rare event.

Does not compute.

Sure it does, You're just not there yet.

Go on, give it another try.

Re:

Its not worth the license fee these days and needs to become PPV. They make the best wildlife progs but the rest of it is dumbed down rubbish sadly. Used to be great documentries and interesting stuff years ago. Such a shame really.

My_Teenage_Self":1z4lzd03 said:
al-onestare":1z4lzd03 said:
My_Teenage_Self":1z4lzd03 said:
Preamble;

Does not compute.

Sure it does, You're just not there yet.

Go on, give it another try.

You don't like the BBC but you want them to show shows you like.

Back