Mike's big day out, in Belgium

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Warning, cx and pic heavy. You have been warned!

A friend of mine arranged for a few of us to go and see a UCI World Cup cyclo cross round on Sunday, at Koksijde, Belgium.
So having got up at some ungodly hour, we made our way to the Channel Tunnel, where we had time for coffee before departing to Calais. We did look aghast at a young couple in the terminal walking around in their pyjamas! :shock: :facepalm:
Once in Frogland, we took - I think - the N35, a big motorway, to the race, just across the border into Flanders. I was surprised how long it took, only around 40 mins, and we just followed the local tradition of just dumping the car at the side of the road, two wheels on the road, two on the grass verge.
Having got tickets on the way in, we went into the venue and had a look around some of the very sandy course. We got there in time for the Espoirs race, which was won convincingly by Tom Pidcock having started badly at around 15th place on the first lap. Here's a few photos of that race.

IMG_1568 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Local hotshot, and one of the favourites for the win,

IMG_1571 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

One of the three World Champs here today,

IMG_1572 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Steep enough?

IMG_1577 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

These lads thought so!

IMG_1579 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1581 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

The course was very spectator friendly, with out and back sections, like this one,

IMG_1584 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Race winner, with frites stand and beer tent behind him!

IMG_1592 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And again!

IMG_1593 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

There was a definite groove in places that were favoured by the riders,

IMG_1595 by Michael Murray, on Flickr
IMG_1584 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

After which, we had the women's race, both under and over 23s in this one, so a wide range of ages which seemed a bit unfair on the younger racers, some of whom looked to be in their teens!

Race leader on the first lap, on a tough, steep little climb with only one viable line, so if someone stopped in front of you, you had to get off as well!

IMG_1598 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

A local favourite I think, on just someone very popular!

IMG_1599 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

British champion, Helen Wyman,

IMG_1600 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Ahead of the world champion, Sanne Cant, cool!

IMG_1601 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Jolanda Neff I think, also racing in the mtb World Cup, and looking very good!

IMG_1605 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

One of the young British girls, whose name escapes me, sorry! :facepalm:

IMG_1606 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Some general photos now,

IMG_1610 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1612 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1614 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1619 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1626 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

After which, beer and frites were consumed, well, when in Rome - er, Flanders! - Fuelling the fire to watch the mens race.

And they're off!

IMG_1627 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mathieu Van Der Poel leading, and was never overtaken the whole race! :cool:

IMG_1630 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1637 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And again,

IMG_1639 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

And despite stirling work from the world champion, Wout Van Aert, who went from 2nd to fourth then eventually third!

IMG_1641 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1643 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

British champion, Ian Field

IMG_1644 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Lining up the Italian in front for an overtake!

Nice to see a Rock Lobster in the sand! Make up your own jokes! :LOL:

IMG_1646 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_1647 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

It wasn't all picturesque!

IMG_1661 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Weird seeing riders going over your head!

IMG_1662 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

In all, had a great day's racing to watch, good weather, not having to rush around to see a glimpse of the riders, not like the Spring Classics! And caught up with some friends, too! The sand was so hard to walk up on the climbs, goodness knows what it's like to ride it!

IMG_1597 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Will definitely be going back sometime.

Hope you liked the MANY photos!

Mike

xxnick1975":31itd9cs said:
Looks great, surprised you didn’t pull the Roberts out and have a go!

:LOL:

Now you mention it, Nick !

I plan to be racing there at some point. You heard it here first! Shhhhhhhhh!

Mike

:cool: looks a good day out. Some nice photos too.

What camera were you using? A couple of friends travel around the world to various sporting events and sell their photo's after to pay for the trip ;) wanted to myself but other things got in the way :facepalm: you can also contact the event organisers before and get photographer passes which usually give you access to non public areas.

They use the freelance photographers bible, or something like that, which lists all the mags and things that will buy your photos and tells you what size/format etc you need to submit them in.

Its not their jobs and they dont make alot, but enough to pay for the trips :)

Mark

Re:

Some great pictures there. Though from mountain biking I love watching cross. 2018 will be my fifth time attending the worlds. I did attend the Worlds at Kosidj (not spelt correct)-think it was 2010?

Is that Helen Wyman or actually Nicki Brammier nee Harris?

I might try one of the World Cups or Superprestige as the one problem with tbe World Championships is the immense crowd but then that does add to the atmosphere.

See you all in Valkenburg.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":15dl1j9n said:
Chris D":15dl1j9n said:
Is that Helen Wyman or actually Nicki Brammier nee Harris?

Not sure, I was going on what a friend of mine told me. He follows cx racing a lot closer than me. Have to say though, I am getting interested in it now I've been to one. Here's the men's senior race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-W1uoO ... e=youtu.be

Mike

Definitely Nicki. Helen rides for Kona....or she did until recently as I have heard her contract won't be renewed.

Great write up Muz .. Looks like you had a nice continental soiree there
(although I believe a soiree is more of an evening affair...but never mind)

Re:

Looks great! Reminds me of some early 90's mtb races (sans frites and beer).
Seems like a good format, spectator friendly, frites, beer, what's not to like?!!

The BELGIUMS no how to hold a great cycling event. Always fancied going over to watch one of the many cycle cross events. I go every year and watch some the road races in Belgium such as
Dwars van vlaanderen, E3 Harelbeke, Gent Wevelgem, Tour of Flanders etc.. The national womas champ is definitely Nicki Brammier. Great photos really captured the event and atmosphere!

Back