Take care riding through a heard of cows with calves present

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -cows.html

Had a very close shave myself as a 14yr old fishing in Ireland. This guy and his lab, RIP, sadly were not so lucky. We all know not to mess with bulls but calving cows or those with a few calves can become very agressive if they feel threatened by mountain bikers suddenly approaching.

Just thought i’d share.

Re:

He was a daft one. How did his dog get amongst them?

Cows are very protective, and everyone ought to realise that when chundering about the rural idyll.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":2w2o8klm said:
He was a daft one. How did his dog get amongst them?

Cows are very protective, and everyone ought to realise that when chundering about the rural idyll.

For such a ‘bright chap’, he showed some crass stupidity allowing his lab off the leash to bother them.

Re:

Really daft – people need to use common sense and dog walkers need to be careful and respectful when taking footpaths around, across or straying over farming property, particularly where livestock is present and especially when livestock are calving or lambing or when deer are rutting, etc. http://www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/right ... f-way.aspx

Will long retro bar ends be a "red flag" to a bull then?

Having lived on a farm for 8 years I never trust cattle I don't know and even those I know well I place little trust in, livestock are remarkably dangerous and people ought to give any animal a wide berth

Re:

had this in the lake district many years ago -though dog was on a lead- led to me and the mrs doing the hundred yard dash at olympic speeds with us basically throwing ourselves over a drystone wall. Still amazed at the turn of speed we managed. Of course the dog was fine. Had problems with cows round here on some of the footpaths - i now steer well clear of them.

Re:

Know people on FB who have smallholdings or have livestock and have suffered from people trespassing and letting their dogs loose. In last couple of days, one person's flock of sheep were either mutilated or killed following an attack by a dog. Someone else suffered the local hunt riding through their property with hounds – uninvited – trampling garden and frightening livestock. The described seems to be an common problem.

Attachments

• sheep.png
    sheep.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 753
Re:

Lets not start about careless owners allowing ‘dangerous dog breeds’ off the leash in public places. So sorry at what happened to that beautiful dog recently. People always blame the owners. Sometimes they do train their dogs or encourage them to behave agressively. Ultimately they are animals, sime breeds have particularly agressive trait, dogs have natural pack and hunting instincs that can be triggered unpredictably on occasion.

Back