TV: Fire, Now etc

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Looking to ditch the virgin TV at home and try something new. Maybe go the Amazon route, Sky, Now TV… so many options these days. May or may not be looking to change the broadband service too (given that we get that from virgin too at the mo), depends on whats on offer.

Anyone have any horror stories / recommendations to share?

I have sky version of freesat plus a fire stick. Plenty of rubbish on both but lots of gems too. Fire stick gets you all the on demand channel services.

Re:

I've recently ditched Sky tv as we weren't watching most of what was available.

We have bought a Freesat box which we use all the time now. It's great.

All I miss is Eurosport, cycling and winter biathlon, but I can get them on Eurosport Player instead.

Mike

Re:

At £55 per month, I'm looking to ditch Virgin too (yet another customer service that's impossible to communicate with). Never watch the telly – only watch stuff of choice online. I've just got used to viewing things as and when I want to. Could survive without Freeview too even. All I really need is a mobile, my iMac and some swift broadband but, for some reason, you have to have a landline and pay extortion (sorry, line rental) via the provider for the privilege of using broadband through BT's infrastructure. Don't get me started on the Beeb and their license...

Re:

Fifty five pounds a month for TV? :shock:

Nope, I just can't get my head round that no matter how hard I try.

Re:

Well, £55 for landline, broadband and TV – still too much though. It was well under half that in my first year or so with Virgin as a new customer. Can't remember when I last used the landline but it's a requirement. It's only good for receiving nuisance spam sales calls and the odd random wrong number caller. At least I can rest safe in the knowledge that Branson had the refuge of his wine cellar to post on social media from in his hurricane-stricken tax haven. Boo!!!

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":3qu803y9 said:
Well, £55 for landline, broadband and TV – still too much though. It was well under half that in my first year or so with Virgin as a new customer. Can't remember when I last used the landline but it's a requirement. It's only good for receiving nuisance spam sales calls and the odd random wrong number caller. At least I can rest safe in the knowledge that Branson had the refuge of his wine cellar to post on social media from in his hurricane-stricken tax haven. Boo!!!

Fkin hate VM, apalling CS but they are the fastest in London and renters demand 200MB fibre speed these days. Agree about his annoying posts from the Necker wine seller. What an out of touch idiot.

agreed, the downside of most bundles is I dont want the bundle! landline only gets used byt he mother in law calling in... Ican live without that! We went with virgin as they were fibre and fast, but our connection is average at best and the wifi is terribly weak, so Im hoing that some better hardware and a good ISP will make my life better. But the TV is the complication.

We now have a smarter TV which can do some things itself, like plug in a HDD and record stuff, so that functionality in the sky or virgin boxes of past are not really what we want any more. on demand and freview is about all we are used to, but we are trying netflix etc to see if it works for us. hopefully we can get something that matches the budget too.

thanks for the comments so far!

Back