Why is orange jam called marmalade?

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "marmalade" appeared in English in 1480, borrowed from French marmelade which, in turn, came from the Portuguese marmelada. In Portuguese, according to the root of the word, which is marmelo, "quince", marmelada is a preserve made from quinces. Marmelo in turn derives from Latin melimelum, “honey apple”[1] which in turn derives from Greek μελίμηλον (melimelon)[2]. According to José Pedro Machado’s Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa[3], the oldest known document where this Portuguese word is to be found is Gil Vicente’s play Comédia de Rubena, written in 1521:
;)

Right, so marmalade is actually quince jam and we are being sold poorly advertised goods. And what are trading standards doing about this I ask? The public needs to know. Enough of all this effort trying to stop us buying fake DVDs, sort out the jam issue as a priority. Jeez, you can't trust anyone...

tintin40":pnty9dxz said:
Harryburgundy":pnty9dxz said:
Marmalades for ladyboys anyway....stick to a thick layer of Marmite on your toast :LOL:

So true :D

Pfffwwwwwehhhh!!!!

Lemon curd is where its at for mornings, peanut butter for afternoons (and crunchy peanut butter pref ;) ).

Lemon curd is where its at for mornings, peanut butter for afternoons (and crunchy peanut butter pref ;) ).[/quote]

I haven't eaten lemon curd in years :shock: crunchy is best :D

Crunchy Lemon curd? you sick Bast***!

I always thought there must be a Duke of Marmalade, a la the Sandwich?

Latest posts

Back