Modern Technology

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
In February this year my Philips electric shaver developed a fault that I could not fix, and as I work in an environment where the day old stubble look is not entirely acceptable a quick look on line located a suitable replacement at Argos, job done.

A couple of days ago the new Philips razor stopped working mid shave, I could not work out what the issue was but managed to get it going again long enough to complete the job, but I was contemplating a return visit to Argos. Over the last couple of day it has been acting up and I suddenly realised there was a little orange light flashing when the razor refused to work. Amazingly I still have the box, receipts and instructions and on thoroughly viewing (I say this rather than reading, as the whole thing just has pictures) the instructions the very last page revealed the answer.

Philips recommend that the cutting heads are replaced every two years, and when the two years is up sure enough, the little orange light starts to blink. Now, remember I bought this razor in February... which leads me to believe the razor was made two years ago and so now the little timer chip inside is telling it to blink the orange light... in other words, my razor has a clock inside which is programmed to remind to replace the heads. Next thing you know I'll be getting an e-mail from Philips, as the blinkin thing is connected to my WiFi.

Fortunately there is a way of resetting the clock, which I have done, so hopefully I will be able to complete a shave without delays tomorrow.

Incidentally, the heads are £19 each, there are three on the razor which cost me £34 new, talk about a throw away society.

Re:

Built in obsolescence ensures we are revenue streams. Some of these products are overpriced and over complicated with digital technology for what they really do (like shavers) but it's used to keep us buying more or lock us into things. This is the thing with domestic inkjet printers, which are quite cheap but the consumables – inks – are expensive. The chipping technology on ink cartridges locks you into buying the branded ones, and also, the printer itself has a lifespan too where it reaches a point when it stops functioning and you have to take it to an engineer to have it cleaned/drained.

Re:

You jest, but I use a traditional style safety razor, like this:

41RcG6yju5L.jpg

I got completely fed up with the cost of the latest twin, triple, quadruple blade replacement cartridges. I can buy 10 new blades for about £3.00 and they get even cheaper if you buy more at a time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=1

I only tried an electric razor once, it seemed to pluck more than it cut and I've never tried one since. :shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I must admit, i have become lazy too, i have been using an electric shaver for a while now until recently it started playing up. I am tempted to return to shaving foam and a pack of bic razors :)

Mark

Modern tech? More like more modern ways to rip-off the unsuspecting punter. Clever, too.

I find it amusing though that someone working in circles with so high & demanding standards regarding appearence can't take enough time for a proper shave which would do good on his faceskin too, especially in the long run. No running water available?

Shouldn't last more than 5 minutes a day, if particular/special beard/'stache-styles aren't involved anyway and 2-blade heads are dirt cheap too.

Re:

Short of spare time so don't bother to shave regularly – end up looking like an old goat for few weeks. At some point, I'll catch sight of my reflection somewhere and think who the hell is that old goat? When I get home, I'll strim it all off using the beard trimmer on my £20 rechargeable Remington. It will run out of juice at an inappropriate moment, so while I wait half an hour for it to recharge, I'll have a funky asymmetric arrangement going on :facepalm: Note to self: I must remember to finish it off before leaving the house...

Re: Re:

xerxes":34osnank said:

41RcG6yju5L.jpg

I got completely fed up with the cost of the latest twin, triple, quadruple blade replacement cartridges. I can buy 10 new blades for about £3.00 and they get even cheaper if you buy more at a time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=1

I only tried an electric razor once, it seemed to pluck more than it cut and I've never tried one since. :shock:
This.
Cost about £50 to set up, blades cost about a tenner for 50 (decent Gillette), shaving soap £5. And it feels manly.
But still not manly enough to try a cut throat.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

fagin":1rfbrf4d said:
xerxes":1rfbrf4d said:

41RcG6yju5L.jpg

This.
Cost about £50 to set up, blades cost about a tenner for 50 (decent Gillette), shaving soap £5. And it feels manly.
But still not manly enough to try a cut throat.

:LOL: has anyone here used a cut throat? used to have one but never crossed my mind to actually use it :shock:

Back