Cycle helmet debate number 56565647564 with a twist

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm kind of surprised to read this from those lot at Cycling UK (CTC) but its something I've been in line with for a very long time and kind of vilified for over the years. Ignoring the anecdotal like 'my mate Dave wouldnt have survived wivaaaat 'is 'elmet' and so on, (incidentally my mate has actually had two big 'offs' in the last 8 weeks - the first one dislocated his left shoulder, the second his right wrist, the second time on some concrete steps sans helmet - no damage whatsoever to his head, just pride and Specialized) I like the fact that its choice that is the word.

I like the fact that educating other road users comes first and the fact that Cycling UK is promoting this could give it some headway (excuse the pun) over the health and safety obsessives out there

Anyway read on and, without politicising it, give your opinion either way - I use mine when on unknown off-road trails that have nice head cracking rocky bits but rarely at other times. A recent road ride into town left me ill with all the diesel fumes so busy town riding is out now anyway.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/vi ... le-helmets

I don't need to read it. I wear one. I have responsibilities to and for others. Never heard of one making things worse.

The History Man":3pb1687m said:
I don't need to read it. I wear one. I have responsibilities to and for others. Never heard of one making things worse.

Read it at least - this is a big organisation with a lot of educated people.

If you cant be bothered to read it then at least try to read this little bit then you might actually get the point of the whole thing:

On the other hand, Cycling UK does not however take a view on whether or not it is beneficial for individual cyclists to wear helmets – in that respect, we are neither 'pro-' nor 'anti'-helmet. The evidence on this question is complex and contradictory, providing as much support for those who are deeply sceptical of helmets as for those who swear by them.

Whether or not it is a good idea to wear a helmet may depend on both the rider and the type of cycling they are doing. However, given the extent to which the health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks involved, Cycling UK's view is that it is more important to encourage people to cycle, than whether or not they wear helmets when doing so. Cycling should be promoted as an essentially safe, normal and enjoyable transport and leisure activity, which anyone can do in whatever clothes they prefer to wear, with or without helmets.

Re:

2nd nature to me, in my 'youff' I didn't though. I can remember riding with my Walkman listening to Maiden :facepalm:

Wont berate anyone who doesn't its their choice.

Re: Re:

widowmaker":1y82nwhc said:
Surely they should just say they recommend you wear one :shock:

Just for you - dont make me get the big crayons out again

Cycling UK's view is that it is more important to encourage people to cycle, than whether or not they wear helmets when doing so. Cycling should be promoted as an essentially safe, normal and enjoyable transport and leisure activity, which anyone can do in whatever clothes they prefer to wear, with or without helmets.

Big crash on the tandem last year.Paramedic called out and off to hospital in an ambulance Out cold on the tarmac for around ten minutes.Lost around a quarter of an hours worth of memory.Whilst I come from a time when non of us wore helmetsI am mighty glad I had one on that day.I may well have survived but I would have been in one hell of a state.I dont think anyone should be forced to wear one if they dont want to but that day changed my view for ever

Re:

If you have a ten cent head, wear a ten cent helmet.-I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing a helmet in a number of crashes over the years when I hit my head-especially in '91 when I was paralyzed for 10 days from a face plant in Moab on the Slick Rock Trail...

So what they're saying is that it's personal choice, which it is, there's no law that says you have to wear a cycling helmet.
It's possible some people may be turned off cycling because of the perceived "need" to wear a helmet, it messes up their hair, it makes you look like a dork etc... Maybe part of the whole push for helmet wearing is marketing as much as public safety.
Personally, I always wear a helmet, probably because when I started "proper" mountain biking and joined a club it was a "no helmet, no ride" kind of a deal, which I actually think is a good idea. But before that I never wore a helmet whilst doing my paper round, pratting about the woods with friends etc.

Interesting, and I think they have a point, that the positive health benefits of getting more prople cycling may outweigh the negative of not wearing one if involved in an accident.

Back