Chain Cleaning

Sabz__

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
First, sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I was just wondering the procedure for how most of you cleaned your chains, i.e what equipment you use and how you use it.
Thanks

Re:

I use a Park tools chain gizmo and washing up liquid mix with water. Once a week if I've gone off road.

I use Squirt (wax lube) and never actually clean the chain, except as part of a normal hosedown.

It's not oily and gunk doesn't build up.

fagin":14ztudh3 said:
I use Squirt (wax lube) and never actually clean the chain, except as part of a normal hosedown.

It's not oily and gunk doesn't build up.

think ill give that a go when i buy a new chain.

Park Tools Cyclone chain cleaner with some Lifeline citrus degreaser in it. Rinse with hot soapy water, then with water. Sparkling chain every time.
For years I thought the chain cleaner devices were a waste of time/money but they do make the job easier and hardly use any degreaser doing it.

I use the Sheldon Brown method. Takes a little more effort though.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Actually I remove the chain every couple of months, clean it with degreaser and an old toothbrush (always have plenty of cheap toothbrushes, they're great for cleaning chains and cassettes), rinse it with water, dry it with a hairdryer and then apply chain lube.
In the mean time when I notice it gets contaminated with sand or just too dirty I hang the bike in the workstand, spray plenty of Brunox Turbo-Spray (really love that stuff) on the chain and wipe the dirt off with some rags.

jimo746":1mw1j0c1 said:
Park Tools Cyclone chain cleaner with some Lifeline citrus degreaser in it. Rinse with hot soapy water, then with water. Sparkling chain every time.
For years I thought the chain cleaner devices were a waste of time/money but they do make the job easier and hardly use any degreaser doing it.

I totally agree with the above. I go a little extra and recycle my dirty fluid after. I bought some parer filters from eBay of Amazon, and filter it after use into another bottle so I get as much out of it as possible. I've also used coffee filter paper which works too.

jimo746":1j0vz54w said:

Yes! Chain cleaner gadgets are the way to go. So easy you'll clean the chain more frequently which is better than doing a meticulous off-the-frame job once in a blue moon. Mine is "Finish Line" and can buy replacement brush kits to restore the tool, i've been using it quite a while and didn't even replace the brushes yet. Worth every penny.

Re:

chain cleaner device with white spirit and also use a paint brush to get into rollers and sprockets before washing the whole bike with car shampoo. Rinse off and use a rag to dry the chain. I then use WD40 to drive out dampness before re lubricating.

Back