Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I have been thinking on and off for ages about joining a union, T&GWU I'd guess. As the company I work for gets bigger and bigger, I feel more vulnerable. I was wondering, is anyone here part of one?
Good or bad experiences, please

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Muz 67":1hqnlpgq said:
Hi folks,
. I was wondering, is anyone here part of one?
Good or bed experiences, please

Thanks,

Mike

I thought it was only the management who screwed the work force..

Or are you planning to screw the Union.

Good idea. I found it nepends on the shop steward. If he knows how to negotiate . Knows the law & rules and deal with people then he will be a job saver.

ive heard mixed experieces with unions, both on site and in education. you really need to be with someone whos passionate and knows the rule book. Ive been lucky enough to sort my own stuff out, perks of being self emplyed and subying for years.

Re:

I have been a member of the Fire Brigades Union since I first joined the service 18+ years ago. I have also been a rep for a long time and now act as the North Yorkshire Organiser as well as my normal job as a fire fighter.

Without doubt my Union is a force for good and the service you all enjoy would be much worse had it not been for the FBU. Locally we have represented hundreds of members in grievance and discipline cases including getting people who had been sacked re-instated.

As long as you have access to a good one Trade Union membership is a no brainer for me. You don't know when you'll need them but you'll be glad of them when you do.

It largely depends on the union involved, some are right silly people (edited by Jonnyboy666 because of abusive language) and seem to think no one will notice their strikes always seem to be on a Friday and Monday and they will go on strike for the least little thing

Others, more locally active, can be very helpful. It's sometimes thought that they defend you against management only, I've worked in some places they have defended worker vs worker and have diffused things in a way the management could not. They have also been helpful in matters of long term sickness etc

Big work forces are slowly being reduced as we demand more technology so a negotiating group on your behalf can help. My own experience has been there are very few genuine reps anymore though, most reps join the union to avoid doing their own job as they tend to be the laziest and dodgiest bastards in the work force.

By all means join, it makes sense to, but keep an eye on them

Re:

I get to see both sides from the inside – I work for the CWU but strangely, I had to join the GMB (who are the union representing the staff working for the CWU) in order to protect myself. You'd think working for a union was cushy gig. Far from it.

Somehow, I've managed to survive working at the CWU for 12 years but during that time, have had to request the help of the GMB on far far too many occasions. The CWU's previous general secretary (Billy Hayes) told me himself that I didn't deserve to be admitted into the union's staff pension scheme when I applied for it. This from a man who never had to contribute to his own pension scheme with the CWU, who had a grace and favour house as well as his own, had his mortgage paid, and, accrued so much 'overtime' that he paid himself around £18k. In the end, I had to go with the government's national NEST scheme.

You'd also think being the member of a union would protect you too. My partner used to work in the NHS but ran into problems with a line manager after some illness. Unison, the biggest union in the UK, wouldn't respond to any of her calls for support and advise – the branch rep only supported management grades. Instead, Unison emailed through a substantial form which asked up front if the member could afford to pay towards Unison making legal representations. In the end, she just gave up and quit her job.

A lot of people working in politics (doesn't matter what colour) are careerists and it's quite an incestuous world (again, it doesn't matter what colour the politics). There's a lot of careerists moving through the hierarchy of unions, from branch reps to organisers to the various levels of officials up to president or general secretary. I'd concur with some of KDM's points around this aspect. However, as in any organisation or company, you do get those who are genuinely committed, do care and do try to make a difference.

Generally, as Brocklanders says, unions are a force for good. Despite the restrictions of legislation on unions, some are now in the process of repositioning themselves as wider political campaign groups, harnessing both their members' support and the wider community to change things for the better, though some of this also helps to sustain the union. I'd say if you work for a company or organisation with union recognition, it's better to be in a union. It's a no brainer.

But, above all, my advise to anyone is to try and keep a diary and document everything you can – dates, times, conversations, incidents, how you felt, emails and correspondence. Yes, it's difficult to devote time and energy to but documented evidence is the best defence you can be equipped with if you're ever sucked into a dispute.

Back