Champagne sales down 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
And a prediction that many restaurants in London face closure soon, or within the next 18 months. The money is moving out already.
This is the stark message I rec'd from my associates who know the London wine trade inside out.

And as part of my recent visit to Bordeaux I spoke to many buyers, traders, importers from around the world.

Unsurprisingly the question came up of Brexit.
'What the hell are you (the electorate) doing in the UK? You are going to feck your economy'

Yup, I know, I replied, it's happening already. I honestly felt ashamed to be British.

Brexit is a complete clusterfuck and everyone knows it but no-one has the balls to address it.

Heseltine is right.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.newsta ... deal%3Famp

As prices rise, let's hope we don't see over inflated tyres.

Seriously though, in the long run trade deals with China and Taiwan may well bring prices down. Most consumer goods are cheaper in the USA.

Now if French wine producers/exporters were also top international economic forecasters I might listen up. But seeing as even top economic forecasters generally can't get it right, and French wine producers are focused on erm, selling French wine, I'll treat their opinions with the contempt they deserve.

What a crock of anecdotal shit.

If you ween't trying to blame brexit for everything then you would have been honest with this post, yes there has been a drop in buying champagne because many have moved onto prosecco and also British wines/sparkling /vineyards are on the rise.

English sparkling wine last year showed a 17% increase in overseas sales

I do wish harry you would not be so boring everytime you realise brexit is happening. British vineyards are doing better than ever before, we are spending less with the French because we are seeking outside of France options

Next you will be telling us brexit is effecting tampax sales

KDM":1a5xpmrc said:
If you ween't trying to blame brexit for everything then you would have been honest with this post, yes there has been a drop in buying champagne because many have moved onto prosecco and also British wines/sparkling /vineyards are on the rise.

English sparkling wine last year showed a 17% increase in overseas sales

I do wish harry you would not be so boring everytime you realise brexit is happening. British vineyards are doing better than ever before, we are spending less with the French because we are seeking outside of France options

Next you will be telling us brexit is effecting tampax sales

Without extrapolating all the product categories

English wine is worth about 5 million bottles a year depending on the vendage of course. This year has seen the devastating affect of spring frost with projected harvests down 50%

In England alone we drink around 12 million bottles of wine a week.

In isolation, the success of English wine is great, but it's affect on market share as a whole is a drop in the ocean.

Prosecco sales have seen an exponential growth rate - part of that will be at the expense of cheap shit supermarket champagne - part will be at the expense of still wine and other beverages.

Champagne sales have seen a nose dive since Brexit - that is unquestionable and to try and blame the massive 20% decline on Prosecco and English sparkling wine growth is daft.

Brexit may or may not happen - that much we have to wait and see. David Davis has already demonstrated that he's plain useless as a negotiator, so too May. No deal most certainly should not to be on the table - the WTO rules will see tariffs on imported goods rise from zero to anywhere near 30% depending on the country and the produce.

The level of ignorance regarding the current affect of Brexit on business is simply amazing.

Harryburgundy":1m63xl0z said:
Champagne sales have seen a nose dive since Brexit - that is unquestionable and to try and blame the massive 20% decline on Prosecco and English sparkling wine growth is daft.
Who actually cares? Events happen daily, monthly and yearly which affect businesses. Some self inflicted, others due to market conditions, supply shortages or government interventions. Business is about adapting to the challenges and making the most of it.

You're yet again conveniently forgetting that export businesses are doing better because of the fall in the pound, but that aside you can't make an omelette without cracking some eggs. Some businesses will fail. Businesses fail every day, Brexit or no Brexit.

If a restaurant closes 'because Brexit' it's actually bugger all to do with Brexit and all about their inflexibility to adapt their offer, explore new consumer groups and generally react to a changing marketplace. But some people have to have a scapegoat.

Harryburgundy":3510fdp5 said:
The level of ignorance regarding the current affect of Brexit on business is simply amazing.

And the level of it's all brexit's fault reminds me that special snowflakes of the millennial generation got a head start from some of our generation.

The majority of companies that go under are mostly down to poor management and a policy of sailing to close to the wind and far too often. That had nothing to do with brexit

In your world harry, oo the red traffic light saw me coming so decided to come on and it must be brexit's fault

this shows champagne sales have always gone up and down and well before brexit https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2016/ ... the-facts/

Harry, blame the fashion changing from pink toe nails to blue and cats preffered to dogs but in your world it maybe, but for the majority of us, brexit is not responsible for everything the angry men want it to be.

Re:

Let's hope they stop selling 'French' cider in our British shops!

As for restraunts, they are mainly run and staffed by immigrants; so what is wrong with good old fish and chips instead of poncy snails and squid ink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back