Finsbury Park mosque attacked by terrorist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bats

Senior Retro Guru
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... ebook-post

One dead and ten injured so far in an apparent revenge copycat attack, attacker says he wants to "kill all muslims", I expect the usual will be along to tell me that's not political.

It seems like it's every bloody week we have a disaster nowadays. But the community will hold together, I'm sure of it.

Re:

You can't legislate against everything, nor can you expect an entire nation to just sit back and 'take it' regardless of how much work is being done to prevent attacks behind the scenes.

With that said, it looks fairly clear this is a revenge attack against innocent people going about their day and it simply cannot be condoned in the same way the bombing in Manchester and van attacks in London that no doubt sparked the motivation cannot be condoned.

It is nearly impossible to win a fight against someone or something that doesn't play by the same rules which is why terrorism works when it targets innocent citizens but as a nation we will not stoop to that level.

We are also fighting an army of no nation so they do not need to answer to the likes of the un or nato as they aren't breaching treaties, they are simply terrorists. At an official level we cannot fight them on their level, our consciences won't let us nevermind our rules of engagement.

I fear this sort of attack is only going to drive a bigger wedge between 'us and them' from a community standpoint and it will no doubt spark retaliation attacks of its own.

Unfortunately there is a very high chance this is going to get a lot, lot worse before it gets better.

Is it time to ban vans?

OK daft remark, but I was driving our minibus through town yesterday and it struck me how easy it would be to take out a large number of people.

We must have had a gross weight of over five tons, and it is very fast.

Quite frightening.

Re:

Oh no! Not another potentially political, contentious and acrimonious 'Off Topic' thread? ;)

I commute back and forth through Finsbury Park everyday. This morning, it was in full media circus mode and most of the roads around North London were gridlocked as a result of the investigations and the media scrummage. The best way to get through was on foot or by bike or even by retrobike.

Although the mosque is very close by, the attack actually happened round the corner from it outside a community centre which is on the main road running past the station complex. There was a group of people who'd just left the community centre and they were helping a elderly man who'd collapsed. The man with the van drove into this particular group of people.

With all of these recent outrages, it seems it doesn't take much to commit an atrocity. Most of the bridges along the Thames now have armoured knuckles or turnstiles at each end of a bridge now with crash barriers on the curb running the full length of bridge, so now it's impossible to drive anything onto the pavement.

When I went back through Finsbury Park on my way home this evening, it was still gridlock and a media circus – lights, cameras, reporters, outside broadcast vans, satellite dishes, wringing of hands. Anyone and everyone in the street being interviewed.

God knows what tomorrow will bring...

One thing that seems to be missed is that this is Jeremy Corbyns home patch so to speak, he is the mp for there, I do not think that is coincidental

If that's what made him pick the area then the attacker is a four lions level intellect. "The sun told me Corbyn loves terrorism so I'm going to show him who's boss, with terrorism"

No offence meant KDM, but that is pure speculation. Unwarranted in my view. If I could guess any particular reason, it would be that particular mosque has a rather colourful history.

May well turn out you are right, but I would wonder why the twat didn't drive into Corbyn's house if that was his way of thinking.

KDM":17cs7eff said:
One thing that seems to be missed is that this is Jeremy Corbyns home patch so to speak, he is the mp for there, I do not think that is coincidental

It's also the home of The Arsenal too!

Given that there's a prominent and historically contentious mosque located in Finsbury Park, plus the various recent terrorist outrages, it was only a matter of time that there was some sort of attack around there.

Have to go with Groovy on this one.

Welsh terrorism is a very odd sounding thing.

It just doesn't seem to fit.

Love the Welsh. Guy must have been ill.

Re:

Didn't they used to blow up the holiday cottages one time?

I loves the Welsh I does. I went to college in Cardiff, discovered mountain biking there and ended up living and working there for six years. I somehow rocked up in London,, though, where I met my missus – who is Welsh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back