SHOW US YOUR IMACS (formerly iMacs should I bother?)

The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Well I got one after hints and lots of useful advice on here.

Show us yours and describe the Jobs you use it for.

MIne Is late 2012 i5 21.5 2.9ghz 1tb 8gb Running Sierra.

Anybody want a matching coaster?

Thanks THM

Re: iMacs should I bother?

Massive screen, looks nice, doesn't have a tower for your knees to bang into or wires to get tangled up.

If you can afford it, go for it, so long as you don't end up with one that's too old.

using both types of computer. Buy the Mac. Miles better than MS

i have ipads and iphones and MS laptop.

Thinking thin screened late 2012 or newer with 1tb and 2gb+ i5. Ram?

Re:

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Overpriced for what you get and increasingly totally unrepairable if anything at all goes wrong with them (and it does, they're not magic) - pretty much everything being soldered to the motherboard now.

Apple have occasionally produced very good hardware in the past, none of the iMacs qualify.

I love them, great OS and (touch wood) never had a problem with one.
Factor in that some of the models are not user upgradeable.

"Thinking thin screened late 2012 or newer with 1tb and 2gb+ i5. Ram?"
1tb is plenty or most users, you would benefit from at least 8gb of RAM and the i5 processor is a good option (not that i think there many other processor options around the 2012 MY).

For a little more, consider the 27", i5, 1TB which can be ramped up to 32gb - Late 2012 Model

Good luck!

Re:

Day job for me. I Love 'em and it would be hard to convince me to switch to the darkside. I've used Macs constantly since mid-90s and have even rebuilt my own G3 and G4 models.

Being Apple, they are stratospherically priced but they are hugely reliable and almost bombproof. I agree though regarding the newer and recent models being seemingly impenetrable for most people, meaning a trip to the dealership if there's a problem, but this the scenario for most things today – it's the inbuilt 'spirit of Steve Jobs' control freakery at work.

Got a mid-2010 21.5inch iMac with 4Gb RAM/1Tb drive and internal CD drive at home. This was a refurb direct from Apple UK (nearly £900) but was virtually like brand new out the box. It's also worth noting that models of this age can be upgraded to the latest OS too.

At work, I use a mid-2015 27inch version with 8Gb RAM/1Tb drive. The newer iMacs with bigger/wider screens are just utterly fabulous to watch things on though. I'm not too keen on the wireless keyboard and magic mouse – they are AA battery hungry, so invest in rechargeables or just plug in an old school cabled mouse and keyboard. The newest iMac keyboard and mouse are rechargeable now though.

I watch a lot of TV on mine at home and use it for ripping a lot of music and burning set lists. This is where the RAM, faster chips and graphic cards come in handy. You need to be thinking of 4GB RAM minimum with a rather useful 1Tb drive.

Visit the following link to identify any iMac going backwards. You can click each one and it will show you all the tech specs:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201634

I got sick of the amount of time I had to spend maintaining the family PC, swapped to a Mac 4 years ago and have had to do minimal maintenance since. Pricey but worth it for fit and forget.

I use an i7 27. Swapped out the drive for an SSD and modded the cooling. Jobs a good 'un! It's a 2009 fat bezel bugger, but was tres cheap. We have, within the clan, a retina one I didn't find I liked for anything 'needing' the resolution, and I use 36 megapixel images..

Never heard of them being unreliable, just some overheating and noise issues.

The 21.5 is great for general use, without taking over your desk. Mount it on an arm, even better!

Latest posts

Back