Why do you ride?

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
This has probably been asked numerous times before but hey ho....

So what makes you want to ride? Is it just to get exercise or is there something deeper?

For me its much deeper. I like many others in the country suffer from a mental health condition. Several years ago things were particularly bad with my depression and well I wont go into what happened. As a kid I spent 90% of my time cycling but had to give up at 16 due to a permanent illness. During this period of depression I started drinking and just gave up on life. I just wanted to get outside so I bought the cheapest bike I could find (I was unemployed and broke) and I kept at it until I could manage my illness well enough to ride more than 2 miles. And do you know what it worked. It gave me the sense of achievement I needed to feel better.

So now whenever my depression kicks in I go for a ride.

Sorry for the long winded story but just had a bit of a rubbish day and suppose I just wanted to talk. Be interesting to see if others have a story behind their riding.

Re:

Sorry to hear you had a bad day, I hope your day improves.

I ride for the fitness, but also because whilst riding my head clears of everything else, if only temporarily.

Re:

Been riding on and off since the age of 5 (now 3:cool: and I ride for lots of reasons..some deeper than others I suppose! The odd thing as I haven't really thought much about the exercise element over the years (but I'm sure it does me good I hope!)

I love riding as flat out as possible - knees and legs permitting!

I enjoy rising in groups but also dig the pleasure of exploring alone..a solo ride can indeed be very cathartic.

It's great to find new places that only a bike can reach!

I have so many positive memories over the years bike related as well - my first foray into bike building, messing about with MTB first time around as a teenager (early 90's so the first 'real' MTB boom in the UK). I didn't seem much of my old man as a kid, but I can still remember him him taking off the stabilisers for that first wobbly ride - on a Raleigh Budgie!

Oh, and I ride cargo bikes as part of my day job :cool:

I'm really glad it's helping you with the fight against the black dog - wish you all the best matey! know that you were looking for a ride recently - I haven't much in the stable frame wise but PM me if you need any parts and I'll see if I have anything at all that I can send you on gratis :)

I mostly ride alone since 'born again' retro biking. Exploring, exercise, exorcism and extrication are mainly reasons I find myself going out on a bicycle.

We all have our demons. Sorry to hear you had a bad one today.

Be sure that there will always be somebody around the corner willing to chat a while, point you in the right direction and share their time and good cheer. Especially when you arrive alone on a bicycle.

Re:

Cheers guys. One day at a time but im good at the moment. And found a kona for £55 so im sorted on that front. And just bought a giant trance for £90 so had a couple of good days.

Thats the other reason I ride. To explore. Have found so many places through discovering new trails that it actually got me into photography.

And the strange thing is I suffer from anxiety as well which means I try to avoid talking to people but when Im out riding I will talk to anyone. Its like it just changes me. Touch wood I dont need surgery next year and I can carry on riding but rest assured it will always be in my blood.

Re:

I'm sorry to her of the hard times you have gone through. :(

Pleased that cycling has helped you through, though.

I ride for;

Fitness, I can eat more biscuits then!

To get something out of the day FOR ME!

To de-stress from work

The simple feeling of joy, riding in quiet areas, away from traffic

Mike

Latest posts

Back